Wounded guinea

Yes, there is an avian vet in OKC - Dr. Harlin at Southside Dog, Cat & Bird 405-636-1484. Usually quite reasonable price-wise. Looks like an old wound or tumor that has ruptured.

Quote:
Thanks I will save the number for future reference. Can't imagine telling dh I am driving an hour to take the bird to the vet! Especially a bird that has only been @ our house for 48hours. He will say cull I am sure. I am goig to dr her for the next few days & see if the wounded area begins to close back up. If it continues to grow or doesn't heal I will explore other options.

The spot on her Leg appears to be dry. Before it almost seemed wet or moist. I don't think the lump will go away, so my plan is to make sure that the flesh is fully closed & then allow her to go back with the flock. Today she ate 3 grasshoppers & part of a boiled egg along with some game feed. We are becoming good friends. I call her guinea-guinea & she calls me buck-wheat. She does startle fairly easy but is very calm when we take her out of the cage. I have a mirror outside the back of her cage & she looks in it throughout the day. Hope that it heals up soon & the flock is happy to have her back.

Quote:
When she is just about healed up you might want to move her cage out to the coop with the others for a couple days so they do not single her out as a newbie when you finally turn her loose with the others again. Hopefully they will all be happy to see her again, but sometimes they can be aggressive when re-integrating injured Guineas back into the flock.

So glad she's healing well and has had no further complications from the growth, or the separation. You guys did a great job fixin' her up (and makin' friends with her)
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Thought her leg was closing up, but took her out tonight & in the struggle her leg busted open again. Can't figure out how it came open I didn't touch it & dont think she scrapped it. It is bleeding but not bad. Put more Meds on it. IT doesn't bother her at all, but an open bloody leg can't be good for any bird!

She enjoys all the grasshoppers we can catch & eats scrambled eggs, but only after she thinks I left the room. I was going to put her outside. Dh thinks she needs to stay in, we have a cold front coming in tonight so maybe after the weather levels off she can go to the hospital coop outdoors.

It was nice & cool today. Open up all the windows. Well the open windows reminded the guinea hen lots of other birds were outside. She screened buckwheat all morning long! We move the hospital coop next to one of the guinea pens & took her outside. Dh & I agree the spot on her leg is small now. One side is still big & swollen, but the other side appears to have came down a bunch. I didn't take a picture since with the blue spray we have been using it is hard to see well. My plan is to keep her in the other coop for a few weeks. At night I will sneak & spray her leg hopefully! Oh & my bathroom smells much better without he guinea caged inside!

Keep an eye on that swollen area closely. If it gets worse, the bacteria are like as not winning.

The hospital cage sounds like a good idea to me, and as long as she's not picking at the wound she should heal up pretty fast. The main thing you don't want is for the others in the flock to start pecking away at the wound before it's healed (which is where the Blu-Kote becomes invaluable, because it disguises the wound...and I am guessing tastes yucky too, lol).

Glad to hear she's continued to improve and is buck-wheating a lot and not depressed or overly stressed out from the separation. Sounds like she's doing great, good job to you and hubby for doctoring her up
thumbsup.gif
(Especially since they usually are SO unappreciative of our efforts to help them!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom