Wounds on my Henny - Could it be from the Rooster?

monicalynn

Chirping
Jan 21, 2017
Hi there fellow Chicken Lovers!!
I have 2 young Roosters. Tyson and Bruno. I also have 11 Hens ranging in age from 5 months to almost 2 years. My 2 roosters are very...aggressive. Suddenly about a week ago I noticed this hard crusted over open wound in one of my Hens. Brownie is her name. She is about 1 year old. Her feathers were all looking as if they were molting out from under her wing. I guess it would be her arm pit area. A few days later I noticed that the area had spread to her side to almost under her on the belly. I have her in a separate coop area now. At first I wasn't sure if it was a disease.
Today I went out and let her mingle with the other birds. I know she has been getting lonely. She was out for no more than 3 minutes when BOTH roosters just cased her. I got them away and I am not kidding- they basically paced her and tried again. Now I am wondering if the Roosters have been rough on her. I did get some antibiotic spray that I used on her for the first time today.

Is that possible? Would they cause such wounds? Is it normal for roosters to gang up for some reason on 1 particular Hen?

Since the feather loss began under her wings, then no - this was not caused by your cockerels / roosters. It may be some kind of lice / mite problem. If you could post your question on the ER forum (with pics) - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10 the experts there should be able to shed some light.

Since she has been isolated from the flock, on her return she is likely to have been perceived as a newbie. Either that, or whatever is ailing her has caused her behaviour to change, and they are trying to eject her from the flock.

The suggested cock bird: hen ratio is 1:10. It may be worth considering either getting more gals, or getting rid of one of your males.

Hi there fellow Chicken Lovers!!
I have 2 young Roosters. Tyson and Bruno. I also have 11 Hens ranging in age from 5 months to almost 2 years. My 2 roosters are very...aggressive. Suddenly about a week ago I noticed this hard crusted over open wound in one of my Hens. Brownie is her name. She is about 1 year old. Her feathers were all looking as if they were molting out from under her wing. I guess it would be her arm pit area. A few days later I noticed that the area had spread to her side to almost under her on the belly. I have her in a separate coop area now. At first I wasn't sure if it was a disease.
Today I went out and let her mingle with the other birds. I know she has been getting lonely. She was out for no more than 3 minutes when BOTH roosters just cased her. I got them away and I am not kidding- they basically paced her and tried again. Now I am wondering if the Roosters have been rough on her. I did get some antibiotic spray that I used on her for the first time today.

Is that possible? Would they cause such wounds? Is it normal for roosters to gang up for some reason on 1 particular Hen?
Welcome to BYC!

Can you post of pic of the area?
Was it actually a wound/cut to the skin....or just feather loss?

I'd separate one or both of the males until they mature a bit.
1 male can cover 11 females for fertilization purposes.
2 males create an environment of competition, where often both males will be more aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom