Wounds on my Henny - Could it be from the Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monicalynn, Feb 28, 2017.

1. monicalynn

monicalynn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2017
    Hi there fellow Chicken Lovers!!
    I have 2 young Roosters. Tyson and Bruno. I also have 11 Hens ranging in age from 5 months to almost 2 years. My 2 roosters are very...aggressive. Suddenly about a week ago I noticed this hard crusted over open wound in one of my Hens. Brownie is her name. She is about 1 year old. Her feathers were all looking as if they were molting out from under her wing. I guess it would be her arm pit area. A few days later I noticed that the area had spread to her side to almost under her on the belly. I have her in a separate coop area now. At first I wasn't sure if it was a disease.
    Today I went out and let her mingle with the other birds. I know she has been getting lonely. She was out for no more than 3 minutes when BOTH roosters just cased her. I got them away and I am not kidding- they basically paced her and tried again. Now I am wondering if the Roosters have been rough on her. I did get some antibiotic spray that I used on her for the first time today.

Is that possible? Would they cause such wounds? Is it normal for roosters to gang up for some reason on 1 particular Hen?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Since the feather loss began under her wings, then no - this was not caused by your cockerels / roosters. It may be some kind of lice / mite problem. If you could post your question on the ER forum (with pics) - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10 the experts there should be able to shed some light.

Since she has been isolated from the flock, on her return she is likely to have been perceived as a newbie. Either that, or whatever is ailing her has caused her behaviour to change, and they are trying to eject her from the flock.

The suggested cock bird: hen ratio is 1:10. It may be worth considering either getting more gals, or getting rid of one of your males.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Can you post of pic of the area?
    Was it actually a wound/cut to the skin....or just feather loss?

I'd separate one or both of the males until they mature a bit.
    1 male can cover 11 females for fertilization purposes.
    2 males create an environment of competition, where often both males will be more aggressive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by