1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WOW...Apparently, I'm not so good at candling eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spowell, Sep 19, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I must suck at candling eggs!![​IMG] Thank God. I have 7 Japanese (local eggs) in the bator for 12 days. Also 61 silkies and sizzles (shipped eggs) that are 9 days in. The Japs are doing wonderful. When I candle, I see an eye and feet and lots of movement. Their eggs just seem to candle almost clear. It's the coolest thing ever!!![​IMG] Then the other eggs I candled at 7 days and found nothing!!!! I was sure nothing was happening.[​IMG] I was so bummed. Did I do something? NO, not possible. It had to be the Post Office. [​IMG] BUT, when I candled, I only tossed the clear eggs or the ones with a blood ring, just in case. See, I'm not a total idiot, just a partial one. When I could not stand it any more I candled them again this morning. Guess what? I found 26 eggs with movement. I'm trying not to be too excited just in case, you know, I send them to chick heaven. This is going to be the longest 12 days ever....

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Yay!

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Superb!! Yes, the last 11 days are longer than the first 10, especially after the eggs are in lockdown. I swear, that 3 days lasts at least a week.

Crossed fingers for your hatch! [​IMG]

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    im not so good eather i never toss egg until week after hatch day.

5. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    You aren't the only one who has trouble candling. I'm not worth a hoot at it. I can see some big black areas, but as for veins or any parts of the bird, I can't tell anything. Of course, I'm just on day 8 and I don't know what can be seen at that time. Also these are all brown shelled eggs which makes it harder to see. AND, this is only my second time incubating. My first attempt last spring was a total disaster. By day 14 I finally could tell nothing was going on. I even had one egg with yellow spots on it, and cracked it open with the rest to see just how far they had made it. NEVER, NEVER, crack open an egg with yellow spots on it unless you like to do the puke-a-roo! [​IMG]

6. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    yep i suck at candling just thru out 4 rotten eggs. it smelled [​IMG] On day 15! [​IMG]

7. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    This is my first time incubating eggs. I have read everything i can find here about the subject, looked at all the candling pics and thought, I got this!! [​IMG] The Jap eggs were so easy to see I guess I expected the Silkie eggs would be the same. I was sure that I had no live eggs, I was so upset. [​IMG] You can just imagine my excitement yesterday when I discovered babies [​IMG] Now, if I can just get them through to hatch!! Boy, I need some Valium, this is so stressful but soooo exciting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by