Wow, some Craigslist 'mods' can be quite cruel.

growanstede

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Wisconsin
So I recently posted an ad on Craigslist:

WANTED: Free Exterior Paint--WHITE and Dark Blue, & Plywood & Shingles

Hello, I am looking for exterior paint for our backyard fence, mailbox housing, porch swing, and a child's play house. I am looking primarily for white, but if you have dark blue (think TARDIS blue if you know what I mean ;o)) that would be most welcome. My husband and I are both out of work and would like to update the yard while we are home, which includes re-painting our fence and other wooden exteriors. We are also trying very hard to create a playhouse for our children (ages 4 and 1) out of completely refurbished/leftover materials, so if you have any lumber (plywood or 2x4's) or shingles that would be most welcome.

We will take partial gallons of paint if need be, it doesn't hurt to mix them all together. Anything you have, please think of us!

Thank you so much for your time.

To which I received an email several hours later:

SCREW THE PAINTING LOOK FOR WORK NO JOB NO MONEY NO HOUSE !

Nice, huh? I emailed back, trying to keep my temper in check, and I think I did an okay job. Considering we are in danger of losing our home and we're doing everything we can to stay here and provide for our family, including looking for jobs. I guess taking advantage of the time we are home together as a family is horrible, unthinkable, and makes us irresponsible. Some of the people skipping happily across Craigslist who feel that it is their duty to comment upon everyone's decisions can be quite cruel. I understand that it is a publicly-moderated site, but I wish people would stick to flagging illegal posts instead of branching out into self-righteous commentary.

You know nothing about our situation past what I've supplied on Craigslist. Maybe you should keep your mouth shut until you can show some compassion, kindness, or assistance. And this goes as well for other emails you are planning on sending to people whose families are suffering and searching desperately for work.​

Last edited:
Ive never tinkered much with C'sL, but I gather it can be hit or miss. Some mods are level headed and fair, others are little Nazis with an axe to grind.
Sounds like you got one of the latter. I say post it again....

Craigslist can be very hostile.
idunno.gif

Isn't it funny how judgmental people can be? I'm sure there are some looking down their noses at us because we just lost our house to foreclosure (through no fault of our own - DH's hours got cut DRASTICALLY in winter 2007), but people still want to make snap judgments about us "getting in over our heads" when we bought the house, etc. Karma is a you-know-what and will catch up with them eventually. They need to remember the phrase, "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Keep your chin up!! Don't let unhappy people drag you down to their level
hugs.gif
. I'm sure you're going to end up with the best darned back yard in the whole 'burb!!!

Whom ever sent you that Email, is rude and lacks the milk of human kindness..... just remember one thing, you will always be a better person than him, and what goes around come around, one day he could be in a dark place trying to get out and no-body will be there fore him, he is a very sad human being....and you will always have us lot here on BYC.......................
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom