Wow!!! They can almost fly!

ebonykawai

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Wheatfield, NY near NiagFalls
One of my hens decided she didn't want to walk on the snow to get to where the other hens were, so she started flapping these long, feathery things that are attached to the sides of her body. And she was almost airborne for a few seconds! She took it in three big leaps, whilst flapping madly, and barely touched the snow at all.

To this day, it amazes me when people say chickens can fly. Today is the closest I've come to seeing evidence of it.
lau.gif

light bodied chickens can fly pretty well. my Hamburg, Leghorns and EE's can get wherever they want to go.

even my heavy mutts can get aloft long enough to release themselves on their own recognizances. it's the launch to get back into the runs that is apparently, much more difficult!
lol.png

My hens 'fly' down from their roost. And they fly down to the lower part of the yard when free ranging. I've seen them fly about 10 feet. But, its not flying like a bird can fly. And the game hen can fly up into a tree. Mine hens are RIR, BR and EE. Not too light!
D.gif

Hamburgs can fly and Andalusians can TOTALLY fly. These birds are much closer to the wild ancestor bird,pre-domesticated, and havent been manipulated to grow giant breasts and legs, like the Orps or other big giant meaty-lookin sisters. Not that I don't love them too.

In fact, someone else was just on here talking about Andalusians yesterday. I had to clip my blue andalusians' wings. Only ones I clpped.

Back
Top Bottom