Wow!!! They can almost fly!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ebonykawai, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my hens decided she didn't want to walk on the snow to get to where the other hens were, so she started flapping these long, feathery things that are attached to the sides of her body. And she was almost airborne for a few seconds! She took it in three big leaps, whilst flapping madly, and barely touched the snow at all.

To this day, it amazes me when people say chickens can fly. Today is the closest I've come to seeing evidence of it. [​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    light bodied chickens can fly pretty well. my Hamburg, Leghorns and EE's can get wherever they want to go.

even my heavy mutts can get aloft long enough to release themselves on their own recognizances. it's the launch to get back into the runs that is apparently, much more difficult! [​IMG]

3. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    [​IMG]

some of my girls are pretty good flyiers especially if they want to avoid the snow to get to another barren patch of ground.

N:_)

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    My bantam EE can fly, even bank impressive turns. It feels good when my girls fly to greet me.

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    oh, yes the bantams can get some good flying in! like they are related to Tigger or something!

6. toddy111

toddy111 Chillin' With My Peeps

If they're light. . . . . . they'll fly!!! [​IMG]

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My hens 'fly' down from their roost. And they fly down to the lower part of the yard when free ranging. I've seen them fly about 10 feet. But, its not flying like a bird can fly. And the game hen can fly up into a tree. Mine hens are RIR, BR and EE. Not too light!
    [​IMG]

8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Hamburgs can fly and Andalusians can TOTALLY fly. These birds are much closer to the wild ancestor bird,pre-domesticated, and havent been manipulated to grow giant breasts and legs, like the Orps or other big giant meaty-lookin sisters. Not that I don't love them too.

In fact, someone else was just on here talking about Andalusians yesterday. I had to clip my blue andalusians' wings. Only ones I clpped.

9. toddy111

toddy111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:True, I agree with "It's not flying like a bird can fly"

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My japanese bantams can fly 20' up. Lighter chickens fly pretty well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by