Wowee!! Egg smelled around the world

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Beau coop, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    A cracked egg under a broody hen that has had a few days to "cook" is one of the foulest odors EVER! Now it was cracked, but not leaking so I decided (brilliant, I tell ya , brilliant) to crack it open and see what was going on. [​IMG]

All I can say is, that the yellow goo that came out, and the STANK, is something I won't soon forget. [​IMG]

I am sooooo glad it didn't explode in the nest.

Note to self- check eggs more frequently. [​IMG]

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

lesson learned [​IMG]

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh man! You got THAT right!!!! Even a skunk doesn't smell that bad! [​IMG] My experience was when my broody was sitting on one that exploded in the nest. (Lucky me!) I was in the front yard, the coop is in the back. All of a sudden I smelled the most horrible, disgusting smell fill the air. At that point, I had no idea what it was but, when I found out, aaaarrrrrghhhh!!! It was all over her, the nest, etc. Needless to say, I had the unpleasant job of cleaning her and the nest box. And, like you, I will NEVER forget that disgusting smell. I mean, it wafted all over the neighborhood! I just prayed no one figured it out. LOLOL

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    At least what came from it was yellow. I cracked a quail egg a few days ago to make sure that I was right (ya know, humans must really like torturing themselves). It popped when I cracked it, and it had a brownish color and a stink so bad that I had to throw it in the trash and run, yelling for hubby to take the garbage out, lol.

5. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    [​IMG]

6. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    When I was little, I found some guinea hen eggs in our pasture. I took 5 of them and put them under a silky hen that was setting on her own eggs. 3 weeks later they STILL hadn't hatched, so I took the lock of the coop door and gently tapped on an egg. Big Mistake! The eggs exploded in my face, hair, eyes, mouth, you name it.. I ran everywhere looking for a hose to get the green stuff out of my face. UGH, how gross. I took 2 showers and STILL couldn't get that stuff off of me!

7. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    When I was a kid we had ducks, geese, chickens, etc., and every once in a while one would lay an egg somewhere near the bank of the creek and it would rot. I will never forget the stench that carried over the swamp and wafted into my nostrils. It was like nothing else. This experience is the primary reason why I do not understand why my boyfriend's brother eats hundred day old eggs with the stinky embryo developed inside. Yuck!

8. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Quote:Oh my! That's really bad. [​IMG]

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:I had one of those explode in my bator once. Wheeee that was a foul stench . My DDs diapers smelled like perfume compared to that.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So THAT was the smell?? I guess I owe my hubby an apology...I blamed it on him! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by