Wowee!! Egg smelled around the world

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Beau coop, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    A cracked egg under a broody hen that has had a few days to "cook" is one of the foulest odors EVER! Now it was cracked, but not leaking so I decided (brilliant, I tell ya , brilliant) to crack it open and see what was going on. [​IMG]

All I can say is, that the yellow goo that came out, and the STANK, is something I won't soon forget. [​IMG]

I am sooooo glad it didn't explode in the nest.

Note to self- check eggs more frequently. [​IMG]
  2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

lesson learned [​IMG]
  3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh man! You got THAT right!!!! Even a skunk doesn't smell that bad! [​IMG] My experience was when my broody was sitting on one that exploded in the nest. (Lucky me!) I was in the front yard, the coop is in the back. All of a sudden I smelled the most horrible, disgusting smell fill the air. At that point, I had no idea what it was but, when I found out, aaaarrrrrghhhh!!! It was all over her, the nest, etc. Needless to say, I had the unpleasant job of cleaning her and the nest box. And, like you, I will NEVER forget that disgusting smell. I mean, it wafted all over the neighborhood! I just prayed no one figured it out. LOLOL
  4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    At least what came from it was yellow. I cracked a quail egg a few days ago to make sure that I was right (ya know, humans must really like torturing themselves). It popped when I cracked it, and it had a brownish color and a stink so bad that I had to throw it in the trash and run, yelling for hubby to take the garbage out, lol.
  5. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
  6. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    When I was little, I found some guinea hen eggs in our pasture. I took 5 of them and put them under a silky hen that was setting on her own eggs. 3 weeks later they STILL hadn't hatched, so I took the lock of the coop door and gently tapped on an egg. Big Mistake! The eggs exploded in my face, hair, eyes, mouth, you name it.. I ran everywhere looking for a hose to get the green stuff out of my face. UGH, how gross. I took 2 showers and STILL couldn't get that stuff off of me!
  7. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    When I was a kid we had ducks, geese, chickens, etc., and every once in a while one would lay an egg somewhere near the bank of the creek and it would rot. I will never forget the stench that carried over the swamp and wafted into my nostrils. It was like nothing else. This experience is the primary reason why I do not understand why my boyfriend's brother eats hundred day old eggs with the stinky embryo developed inside. Yuck!
  8. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    Quote:Oh my! That's really bad. [​IMG]
  9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:I had one of those explode in my bator once. Wheeee that was a foul stench . My DDs diapers smelled like perfume compared to that.
  10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So THAT was the smell?? I guess I owe my hubby an apology...I blamed it on him! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by