Wrangling 6 week old chicks

JenniferCNY

Chirping
Aug 28, 2016
My 2 6 week old chicks got out of the run this morning. I keep my chickens in the run on Thursdays until after the lawn service is done. The rest of the timw everyone free ranges. But my 2 little ones are out right now. They are weaned from their mama and they are terrified of me and run away fast. Any suggestions on how to get them?

It's time to start training them with treats like cracked corn. Still young yet but once you get the chickens trained to come running to your call it will be worth it. For now try walking behind them with arms out to herd back into the pen. Other than that it takes persistence, practice and a little luck to catch them outside of a pen.

Herding and/or a fishing net. Do you only have two 6 week olds or do they have other friends back at the coop? They will usually make their way back to the others.

I personally don't train with treats because I don't like being bombarded by beggars every time I walk outside lol.

I have a pair of Missouri Dominiques in barn causing a very similar issue. In just a few minutes I will walk into barn, open door to pen I want them in and drop some shell corn into the feeder. The American Dominique will see it and call the free-ranging birds including the two young trouble makers so I can close the door behind them.

Currently based in garage I have a pair of hens, each with sizable broods of chicks pushing 2 weeks of age. They are released early each morning at about dawn and penned right after I deal with other two above. Those birds are tamer and hens come running for meal worms I poor into top of cage. Chicks run in as well where I can then close door behind them an put cages where they need to be until I get home from work.

There is a little training in both instances and adults really help.

You need to train them, which is easier than you think.

If you've been offering them treats and know what their favorite is, use that. Meal worms are a favorite of most chickens. Or use scratch grain in a container that makes a lot of noise when you shake it. Use these in conjunction with a verbal cue and call them.

It takes less than two days to train chicks to come to you.

Next time, start the training when they're just a couple weeks old, and you will have chicks that come to you fearlessly.

I live where there are a lot of predators. Sometimes I need to get my two dozen chickens into the run FAST! So I've trained them to all come running to me when I yell "come-on you guys!" Like torpedos, they all launch toward me and are in the run in half a minute. I always reward with a little scratch to reinforce this behavior.

Thanks for everyone's replies and insight. I left the run door open just enough for the two chicks to get in but not enough for the hens to get out. That worked. After an hour or so they went in most likely looking for water, food and to see their mama (who is pretty much done with being their mama).

I DO need to start treat training. You're so right on that! The hens are all trained but since there has been a mama hen raising them until a few days ago they would just come with her.

When I have had escapees I have had luck with running a wall of chicken wire fence along an area and then herding them into it. They will keep trying to run straight through the fence and can usually be caught.

Alternatively, a dog crate with some treats in it can be used to lure them in where they can be cornered.

A net can be a great help.

If I don't have to catch them right away I just wait for them to return to roost at night and lock them in.

I have found that just chasing them is futile and probably extremely entertaining for the neighbors!

Back
Top Bottom