Wrapping a Toenail - Wound Care

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Mouse, a 3.5 year old silver Appleyard duck, tore her left outside toenail sometimes this morning or last night. We noticed it while they were out free ranging, as it was continuing to bleed (and there is snow on the ground here). Our question is, what is the best way to cover the wound after the bleeding stops and a topical antibiotic is used. Is there a better way than wrapping the whole foot? In a flock of very friendly birds, Mouse is our least personable bird (which is why we commonly call her Snuggles...lol), so the ordeal of doing a whole foot wrap 2x/day is...well...an ordeal.

Also, what should we do about the nail, which is at an unnatural angle? Will it take care of itself, or should we take more directed action?

Sorry I don't have a great picture. It was quite cold out this morning.

Mouse Toenail 1.jpg

Mouse Toenail 3.jpg

Mouse ToeNail.jpg

I had a chick that hat an accident and tore almost her whole toe off. At first I thought I could fix it and bandage it. But there was too much damage. I amputated the toe. The little chick bounced back real fast. A couple of days and she wasn't even limping. It was definitly the best option.
When I look at your duck I think the best route would be the same. Take off the toe. Desinfect and spray with blue cote or something like that.

The overall structure of the nail appears to be comprised to the point it is not going to reheal, and attempt's to let it reheal may prove more painful in the longterm. If you have a sharp pair of scissors or nail clippers, I may do a quick cut at the base of the nail. Expect it to bleed; when there is apply firm pressure with a towel until it clots. Depending on how it looks afterwards, application of an antibacterial ointment, then a gauze/vet wrap bandage may be suggested until the area clots even further.

The overall structure of the nail appears to be comprised to the point it is not going to reheal, and attempt's to let it reheal may prove more painful in the longterm. If you have a sharp pair of scissors or nail clippers, I may do a quick cut at the base of the nail. Expect it to bleed; when there is apply firm pressure with a towel until it clots. Depending on how it looks afterwards, application of an antibacterial ointment, then a gauze/vet wrap bandage may be suggested until the area clots even further.

Oh Boy. That's more involved than I had anticipated. If we go that route, do you expect the bleeding to stop with pressure alone?

When you say "depending on how it looks afterwards," for what should we be looking to guide our next steps? Just blood clotting?

Thanks so much, @Isaac 0 ! We always appreciate your help and guidance!

Oh Boy. That's more involved than I had anticipated. If we go that route, do you expect the bleeding to stop with pressure alone?

When you say "depending on how it looks afterwards," for what should we be looking to guide our next steps? Just blood clotting?

Thanks so much, @Isaac 0 ! We always appreciate your help and guidance!

I believe the nail should clot on its own. The only birds I've seen where there was a problem with clotting, had liver dysfunction and required vitamin K1. After a few minutes, the pressure should work, but if it continues to bleed, a small dab of cornstarch or styptic powder would be ok. If the area doesn't look too "raw" after cutting it, you could probably leave it, mainly since these injuries "scab" quickly. If it looks raw/bloody, a bandage put on it for a day or two may be best.

I believe the nail should clot on its own. The only birds I've seen where there was a problem with clotting, had liver dysfunction and required vitamin K1. After a few minutes, the pressure should work, but if it continues to bleed, a small dab of cornstarch or styptic powder would be ok. If the area doesn't look too "raw" after cutting it, you could probably leave it, mainly since these injuries "scab" quickly. If it looks raw/bloody, a bandage put on it for a day or two may be best.

Thanks again. We live in Maine where it is cold and snowy/icy now. We are also expecting a snowstorm. Is there increased risk of cold injury or frostbite after clipping? We can certainly leave her in while everyone else heads out to swim, but she will NOT be happy about it! ;-)

Also, cutting at the base of the nail means cutting as close to where the exposed nail meets the fleshy part of the foot as possible?

Thanks again. We live in Maine where it is cold and snowy/icy now. We are also expecting a snowstorm. Is there increased risk of cold injury or frostbite after clipping? We can certainly leave her in while everyone else heads out to swim, but she will NOT be happy about it! ;-)

Also, cutting at the base of the nail means cutting as close to where the exposed nail meets the fleshy part of the foot as possible?
I think that is what I would do.
I am afraid leaving it like that it would just end up getting ripped off anyway.
I would put the duck on some clean dry bedding in a separate pen for a couple of days while it heals over so it doesn't get infected or ripped back open walking around on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom