Wrecked

After 10 years of backyard chickening, my flock of 6 were massacred last night. Something(s) created and forced through a small gap in the coop and ripped the heads off all my sweet girls. Only ate half of one. I can’t believe the grief I’m feeling. I’m literally wrecked and feel so guilty and sad. What an awful way to die. I’ve lost a chicken here and there over the years of course which is always sad, but to lose them all at one night- and some were truly elderly- at least 10 yrs old- and STILL laying the occasional egg. Fed my family for years. All done. I feel sick. I’m shocked by the violence and by how hard this is to take. I myself am no spring chicken and have weathered some storms, but this has me in a tailspin 😢 Guess I’ll be buying eggs from now on.
What a horrible experience, especially having know the chickens for such a long time:hugs.

I realise this may seem tactless and unfeeling but could you describe how the predator got in and post pictures of your coop and where the predator breach the defenses? It might help others and help prevent a similar thing happening to them.

I lost a few ducks one night. Their throats were ripped out. The next night we lost half the flock of chickens, in the coop. The door did not slide down all the way and a stoat (mink or weasel) was able to get in and destroy the poor girls. None were really eaten or removed.
We caught sight of the little killer as it slipped away through the run fence.(chain link kennel).

Yes, difficult as this is, pictures of your coop and run will help everyone here, please post them. Many of us have had awful disasters, and we have learned the hard way that actual 'predator proofing' takes more than it appears at first.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom