OrlandoMama

Chirping
Jun 21, 2021
I’ve had a girl recently lay a bunch of soft shelled eggs and just found a wrinkled egg. I have an idea of who the suspect is but i’m not quite sure. It’s most likely my buff orpington who is 15/16 weeks and 4 days. I would assume that because she’s so young is why she’s having weird eggs but all of my other girls are 24 weeks and have been producing just fine. I even checked her hips and she’s definitely ready for laying plus she squats for me and I’ve caught her making nests. Egg color is another indication that makes me think that it’s her where the only other hens with the same color are two light brahmas but I know I’m regularly getting eggs from those girls. Is there anything thing I can do to help her or is her body just working out the kinks? All of them are well taken care of and have plenty of food full access at all times plus free range and I save their egg shells and break them down and feed it back to them as supplements.

She's a newbie and her reproductive system is adjusting. Soft shelled/wrinkled eggs in a newbie is some what "normal" but not consistent. You may want to give her some calcium supplements ... Adding a separate dish with Oyster Shells free feed should help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soft-damaged-eggs.1452762/#post-24179363.
Thank you! I give them tons of crushed egg shells and always mix a bag of layer feed with all flock feed so they get the higher protein plus the added oyster shells directly in the feed. This is also the first wrinkled shell, all others have been soft shell so is it maybe starting to even out a bit?

She's a newbie and her reproductive system is adjusting. Soft shelled/wrinkled eggs in a newbie is some what "normal" but not consistent. You may want to give her some calcium supplements ... Adding a separate dish with Oyster Shells free feed should help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soft-damaged-eggs.1452762/#post-24179363.
I just woke up this morning to 4 random soft shell eggs two in the run right next to each other by the gate and two out in the open in the coop next to each other. All were the same color. Plus I got my normal eggs today too of the same color. Is she okay?

Thank you! I give them tons of crushed egg shells and always mix a bag of layer feed with all flock feed so they get the higher protein plus the added oyster shells directly in the feed. This is also the first wrinkled shell, all others have been soft shell so is it maybe starting to even out a bit?
I would let them free feed oyster shells and switch to all layer feed. She’s not getting enough calcium.

Back
Top Bottom