'Wrinkled' egg?

Mrs. Feathers :

This happened to one of my hens when she was stressed by the neighbour`s dog the day before she laid the egg.
I did a bit of searching, including the great link that feathersnuggles provided.
This apparently can happen if the bird is stressed. We have not had another one like this since.
It sounds like this is a new hen for you? Perhaps the transition to a new home was stressful for her?...just a thought if all else seems okay.

We had a hawk kill a hen and get killed in the coop by the rooster the next day - I would think that would be stressful! Then two snowstorms - probably also stressful for them. And it doesn't seem like I'm getting any more eggs that are as wrinkled as this one and the one from the previous day. Maybe that's the answer, they all seem healthy.​

Quote:
We had a hawk kill a hen and get killed in the coop by the rooster the next day - I would think that would be stressful! Then two snowstorms - probably also stressful for them. And it doesn't seem like I'm getting any more eggs that are as wrinkled as this one and the one from the previous day. Maybe that's the answer, they all seem healthy.

Wow! Yeah for the roo! Make sure to give him lots of treats and snuggles (if he likes to snuggle!) for being such a good protector! Humph! Showed that hawk who is boss!
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I found this egg today!

All our hens are young and have been laying for a few months. Should I be worried?

That is an unusual one...is it hard or soft? Since your layers are young and haven't been laying for long, I wouldn't be too worried at this point - like folks have said already, young layers produce all kinds of egg oddities and usually it's just part of them getting the "kinks out of the system"; I'd be concerned if it became a pattern or if you notice other symptoms in the pullet.

Someone may already have posted it, but this thread has a lot of info. about egg problems, with photos: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems.

That is an unusual one...is it hard or soft? Since your layers are young and haven't been laying for long, I wouldn't be too worried at this point - like folks have said already, young layers produce all kinds of egg oddities and usually it's just part of them getting the "kinks out of the system"; I'd be concerned if it became a pattern or if you notice other symptoms in the pullet.

Thanks!! It was hard and with a normal looking yolk! I have to say everyone's eggs are back to normal!! I am hoping it was just like you said since she is young!

Last edited:
Here's a picture:

69940_misshaped_egg.jpg

Thank you for the link about shell quality, Feathersnuggles - this looks like what they say is typical for a viral disease?!
sad.png
Unfortunately, I was just able to look at the page once... I wanted to go back to it but the site seems to be down!

This egg is a few days old, and I have had other eggs from the same chicken after this one that seemed much less wrinkled, just a little at each end. Need to read more...

ETA: Reading more, it looks like this could be either an old bird or a sick bird. The eggs overall are quite large, so I think the seller lied about the age of these bird (the RIRs) and they are much older than 2009.
i got 2 eggs like this this week..hard to tell who laid it , i have 15 hens that all lay the same color egg.....the shell is hard and the egg is large....i will try the acv in the water feeder and i bake their egg shells plus supply with oyster shell as well

Back
Top Bottom