Wrinkled eggs

Oh yeah, about the egg shells, If you rinse them well and crush them up really fine, they should be okay. Remember though that the bird needs more calcium than the shells she roduces will provide. Just make sure they are really fine and don't look like egg shells any more or they may get in the bad habit of eating their own eggs for the shells (or so I've read).

I have been really researching the wrinkled egg thing and several of the sites I went to said that a hen with wrinkled eggs is probably sick. I just got a HUGE wrinkled egg the size of a large goose egg and it had 3 yokes! I know that my favorite chicken is laying these I just hope she will be ok. I do feed my flock oyster shells, mashed egg shells and a laying feed even though they are free range.
Good luck with your flock
Nancy:cool:

I have been getting deep wrinkled eggs for the last 2 years. the eggs are about 3 1/2" long and about 2" around when they are wrinkled. I have been giving them oyster shell in a hanging dish for over 3 years. every time I gather them I get at least 2 egg every 2-3 days. I also give them 3 handfuls of cat food daily for protein. I also have had them on layer pellets for almost 3 years now. They all seem healthy except for the feathers off their bottoms and backs all year long. One is finally getting it's feathers back. Yet, the calcium and extra protein doesn't help the eggs. I'm going to try to put apple cider vinegar in their water to see if that helps or antibiotics in the water. I'll try each one.

Back
Top Bottom