Wrinkled eggs

We've noticed that at least one of our hens is laying wrinkled eggs as well. They're not badly wrinkled, but do have creases in them which are about one-half to one inch long. Usually just one or sometimes two creases per egg. They were free ranging in the summer and autumn, but now that winter is here and the snow is deep, they stay in the coop. They're fed (and have always been fed) layer mash plus household food scraps and cat food (for protein). They also have available in a separate feeder, oyster shells and grit. I must say that they don't seem to eat much of the oyster shells, or grit for that matter. I guess I have to say, I don't know what's going on.

I am new to this board and just got my pullets yesterday. I did a good bit of reading before deciding to raise chickens and the wrinkled egg shells triggered something I read.

In Jeremy Hobson and Celia Lewis' book "Keeping Chickens" on page 119..."Coronavirus...The first signs of infection are a drop in egg production and the appearance of rough, wrinkled shells.... it is possible to vaccinate against the various coronavirus diseases......"

I have no idea if there is another cause for wrinkled egss or not, but when I read that, the image of a wrinkled egg stuck with me.

Megan

Quote:
One other cause that I learned about was the possibility of another egg being close behind and actually bumping into the one in front, causing the shell to come out wrinkled. I had one pullet laying misshapen eggs for awhile, then a couple of times I had 7 eggs from 6 pullets. The "extra" had no shell, and one of the ones with a shell was wrinkled. Apparently, this can occur in young pullets whose reproductive systems aren't fully mature -- they release two yolks at approximately the same time, but in this case instead of one double yolked egg you two imperfect eggs.

Stress is another thing that can cause wrinkled eggs, are your hens feeling safe? Or do you have too many roosters. If the shells are good and hard... Then it is possible theres too much chaos when they try to lay the egg...

Arklady

Just an update: It must have been a calcium deficiency. I have been giving them a scoop of the oyster shell and the calcium chips every few weeks as they peck it up and the eggs and eggshells have been fine, just gorgeous! Well...until winter arrived and the days got shorter! Now no eggs until spring.
hmm.png

I got a wrinkled egg today, and low and behold I found a post! So about oyster shell, should I just give them a bowl full and let them eat it as they wish? Can I throw in crushed egg shells with it?

I just put a bowlful in and they seem to eat the right amount on their own. I put in "Calcium chips" as well as "grits" in two seperate bowls. My guys also free range on the lawn when the weather is nice and then they pick at a spot on the lawn where I accidently spilled some grits.

Back
Top Bottom