wrinkly egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerKEN, May 27, 2010.

1. farmerKEN

farmerKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    One of my hens lays eggs with a wrinkly end. She's been laying since august and maybe skipped 8 days so far and has a red comb. Her eggs are usually a little weird at the end but I read that wrinkles across the middle might mean she's sick. She was laying more perfect eggs for a few weeks but her egg size jumped to jumbo recently and the wrinkles are back.

Are eggs like these normal and from a healthy chicken?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: the egg is wet in the second pic because I was tapping the end and it cracked a little.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    She may have laid a double yolker there. And the shell looks a little thin. Anyway, back to basics, are they covered? Do you offer crushed oyster shell free-choice always available? Does she eat a balanced layer feed, with adequate protein?

If she's getting all that and she's looking healthy and vigorous, it could be a temporary hitch in her shell gland workings that will work itself out. Here's an article about misshaped shells:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/18/misshapen-eggs

3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I have one or 2 hens that lay some funky eggs from time to time. I call them dinosaur eggs, because they are totally wrinkled for 2 or 3 days. Not sure why mine do it, but it stops after a bit, and then will happen again for a few days. They are usually really big eggs--- my thoughts are that if they're double yolks, or slow going through the egg canal, that maybe they "mold" into the shape of the surrounding blood vessels, and stuff, and since it's slow moving, the shell hardens while it's sitting, instead of when it's moving through the canal ( why it looks so smooth usually) ? I dunno, just my own thoughts-- thinking of how clay or paint would dry-- moving versus sitting still in an enclosed area.

4. farmerKEN

farmerKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    Quote:She's a year old golden comet. She's been laying eggs this size for a few days and one of my other comets has been laying eggs this size for over a month everyday so I don't think it's a double yolker. They have layer pellets and oyster shell available on the side. The article says the occurrence can increase with age but she's always been like this. I was just worried she might be unhealthy. thanks for the link

5. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    My Golden Comets lay eggs such as these quite regular.... I always thought that it was just that my hens egg had broken inside and then she repaired it and laid it! but if this is an illness of some sort I sure would like to know!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That doesn't seem like an issue to me. If the entire egg looked like a crumpled paper bag and it was always like that, I'd say a possible bout of infectious bronchitis went through your flock, but that doesn't look like that type to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by