wrong spot to lay!

I'll check the dimensions in the morning.

Also in looking at pictures, I think I realized that what I have is not hay, but straw. Is that not good? Sorry to sound like such a non-educated chicken lady!
Hey, don't worry about sounding dumb. We were all beginners once, and asking questions and making mistakes is how we learn. Before long you'll be the one answering newbies' questions!

So now I'm just wondering if I should let them out into the run as usual. I think they were taking revenge on me for locking them up all morning!
They don't take revenge, you know that, right? They can get restless and uncomfortable if they're hot or overcrowded, though, and that may be what happened. I really wonder if you have mice or something else that's getting at the eggs. Or if the nests are too small somehow and they can't get out without stepping on them and crushing them. A camera would REALLY help so you could see what's actually going on, and put a stop to this guesswork.

Yes, I was joking about the revenge. I'm going to let them out this morning and my husband is working from home so he'll try to keep watch! Any suggestion on cheap weatherproof/chicken proof cameras? I guess I would need one in the coop and run.

I'm begining to feel like a crazy chicken person. I'm running home from work all day and nagging people all day to check the coop, run, and nesting boxes. For a few days we have found no eggs at all, but I don't know if they haven't laid or are eating them. I've researched cameras but am not wanting to spend the money.

We have only found (whole) eggs twice and three other times egg shells. It's always been in the coop, but not the nesting box. Part of the problem is that I don't know who has layed or how often.

All of the chickens are approx. 18 weeks. We have 2 Dark Brahmas, 1 Blue Easter Egger, 4 Cuckoo Marans, and 2 black red laced Wyandottes. From reading on line it sounds like it may just be early and most are not laying yet.

Does that sound right?

Below are some pictures with measurements of the nesting boxed. I've also added a lip to one so that they cannot drag all the bedding out as easily.
E2B8174C-4D67-49EF-9A55-04DEDCF60B23_1_105_c.jpeg

93CA23DF-2201-41B1-BECD-D7F751889683_1_105_c.jpeg
470C39EB-4B9A-43A8-B8FB-D13DB5CEC381_1_105_c.jpeg

8A133FB7-1759-46B7-9B2F-5D18BB1C3C1A_1_105_c.jpeg
5F860148-8BDC-4760-97CC-1199C6B1637E_1_105_c.jpeg

I found some reccommendations as to nesting sizes based on the size of your birds:

This is from
https://thehomesteadingrd.com/chicken-nesting-box-size/

Chickens range from 2 lb bantams to 14 lb heavy breeds, so they definitely have different requirements. If you have chickens of all sizes, I’d recommend the middle size for standard breeds or provide a few different sizes, if possible!

Bantam Breeds​

• 10” wide x 10” deep x 12” high

Standard Breeds​

• 12” wide x 12” deep x 14” tall

Heavy Breeds​

• 14” wide x 12” deep x 14” tall
So I'm wondering if your nests could be just a little small in front at 12" and the chickens are breaking the eggs as they're exiting the nests? :confused: I don't know, just wondering?

It's a good thought although we haven't had any eggs (broken or otherwise) in the nesting box. I think I am jumping the gun a bit. They are all 18 weeks, so I'm hoping we just had a few initial eggs and they aren't laying much yet.

Today I spent half the day chasing one of my girls out of corners and placing upside down buckets, empty tubs, and other random containers in corners where she was trying to lay. She kept going up to the coop and clucking so I knew she must be getting ready. Then when I finally thought we'd both lost our minds she gave up, went into the box and laid an egg! Then my easter egger followed her right away and laid her first one!

I also added a lip 5.1/2 inches and I think they will find it easier to get a nice nest shape without everything flying out.

My Easter Egger's first egg had some traces of blood on it? Is that concerning?

Back
Top Bottom