wrong spot to lay!

rehsanipoor

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Please send advice!

My girls have just begun laying. Unfortunately the only reason we know they are laying is because we found shells šŸ˜ž. One shell was in the nesting box (at least it was in the right place). So we made the nesting box into a "roll-away" situation. Today there was the remains of an eaten egg in the coop where someone had made a little nest. Judging by egg color it came from a different chicken than the first one. I want to nip this in the bud before they develop bad habits!!

A few pieces of info.
1. We opened up the nesting box to them a few weeks ago.
2, We put dummy eggs in the nesting box.
3. There is "fake grass" in the nesting box and plenty of space
2. I am not sure who is laying or eating the eggs as we have not caught anyone in the act.

What is their diet like? I haven't heard of hens egg eating right from the get-go, so something might be up with their food needs.

Maybe you can use a coop camera to try to figure out what is going on?

They are being fed Purina Grower/Starter feed. I plan to transition them over to layer feed in the next week. They also get scratch grains and free range for at least an hour or two a day.

I think it's more likely that they accidentally stepped on the egg because it was in the coop and then discovered that they were yummy. I will pick up oyster shell next time I'm at the feed store to be sure it's not a calcium issue.

Thoughts?? What should I do? I'm worried that the egg box isn't very "cozy" because I had to take out the hay so that the egg would roll away. Now I think they'll just lay in the coop and eat them. help!

Thoughts?? What should I do? I'm worried that the egg box isn't very "cozy" because I had to take out the hay so that the egg would roll away. Now I think they'll just lay in the coop and eat them. help!
I'd put the bedding back in to the nests and gather eggs frequently.
After things settle down you can start to remove the bedding slowly until the roll away rolls again.

I am including pictures to give a visual. I worked to improve the nest boxes. Took away the "roll-away" situation. I put fake grass, hay and bedding added and added a divider. I didn't let them out of the coop this morning and went to work. When I checked in on them around noon I found they had pulled the fake grass and dummy eggs out of the trays, layed in the coop and ate the eggs! The shells seem fine, maybe a little on the thinner side, but I don't think this is a dietary issue.

I don't know who is laying or who is eating the eggs.

Starting to consider pinless peepers just to get us on the right track. Ideas Please???
56C7A26E-F730-4887-8191-98C5ECF9586E_1_105_c.jpeg
B9626F41-D128-472E-886B-3CAA97A919E3_1_105_c.jpeg
DCF18BC4-39EB-4079-8FC4-662A8379B9AB_1_105_c.jpeg
?

Any answers? Could really use advice!
Thanks
I am including pictures to give a visual. I worked to improve the nest boxes. Took away the "roll-away" situation. I put fake grass, hay and bedding added and added a divider. I didn't let them out of the coop this morning and went to work. When I checked in on them around noon I found they had pulled the fake grass and dummy eggs out of the trays, layed in the coop and ate the eggs! The shells seem fine, maybe a little on the thinner side, but I don't think this is a dietary issue.

I don't know who is laying or who is eating the eggs.

Starting to consider pinless peepers just to get us on the right track. Ideas Please???View attachment 3639542View attachment 3639543View attachment 3639540?

Back
Top Bottom