Community box vs nest boxes

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
We are modifying a 10x18 shed as a second coop and debating on the style of nest boxes we should use. Our current coop has standard 12 inch nest boxes. It has a door on the outside of the coop to gather eggs. My husband is looking at Best Nest Box roll away egg box. It's a community style next box. Of course, they claim theirs is the best design, but that's marketing. I want to know what you guys think.
1. Are community nest roll out boxes better than traditional roll out boxes?
2. Is Best Nest Box worth the cost or should we just build our own roll away?
3. If we do build our own, should we go with community style or individual compartments?
4. Do hens prefer to go outside the coop to lay eggs? Should we mount the egg boxes on the outside of the coop? Or keep them inside of the coop?
5. Is the metal on the Best Nest Box a problem in Summer if it's shaded?

Last edited:
We are modifying a 10x18 shed as a second coop and debating on the style of nest boxes we should use. Our current coop has standard 12 inch nest boxes. It has a door on the outside of the coop to gather eggs. My husband is looking at Best Nest Box roll away egg box. It's a community style next box. Of course, they claim theirs is the best design, but that's marketing. I want to know what you guys think.
1. Are community nest roll out boxes better than traditional roll out boxes?
2. Is Best Nest Box worth the cost or should we just build our own roll away?
3. If we do build our own, should we go with community style or individual compartments?
4. Do hens prefer to go outside the coop to lay eggs? Should we mount the egg boxes on the outside of the coop? Or keep them inside of the coop?
5. Is the metal on the Best Nest Box a problem in Summer if it's shaded?
I'm not familiar with that one but looked it over.

Those ones that have an exterior egg-laying spot for their chickens, I would think that was a personal choice but more for those with little room in the coop. Considerations for that would be the weather where you live. We wouldn't do that here in WI where we have weeks of subzero weather as the coop at least is insulated and keeps the eggs from freezing. This would make us have to insulate and probably heat a second place, so we'd keep ours in the coop.

If it's in the coop and egg gathering is out of the coop, now I'm seeing what you mention about the metal. That would be ice cold in the winter (both the section inside and outside) and the outside could get hot in the summer.

It really looks neat, but for that price, if it was us, we'd build one out of wood. We have silkies and that would maybe help with broodiness too if there's no egg sitting there for them to sit on. I'm sure a "community" nest would be fine.

I'm not familiar with that one but looked it over.

Those ones that have an exterior egg-laying spot for their chickens, I would think that was a personal choice but more for those with little room in the coop. Considerations for that would be the weather where you live. We wouldn't do that here in WI where we have weeks of subzero weather as the coop at least is insulated and keeps the eggs from freezing. This would make us have to insulate and probably heat a second place, so we'd keep ours in the coop.

If it's in the coop and egg gathering is out of the coop, now I'm seeing what you mention about the metal. That would be ice cold in the winter (both the section inside and outside) and the outside could get hot in the summer.

It really looks neat, but for that price, if it was us, we'd build one out of wood. We have silkies and that would maybe help with broodiness too if there's no egg sitting there for them to sit on. I'm sure a "community" nest would be fine.
Thank you. Yes - we live in Florida (but moved back home from MN - totally get those subzero temps). This is our current nest box set up on the outside. On the inside, we have 16 12x18 nest boxes. We open each door to access the box. They are all under a covered run, so are shaded and do not get any hotter than the coop does - but are made of wood.

Attachments

• PXL_20230529_195637539.jpg
    PXL_20230529_195637539.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 21
Thank you. Yes - we live in Florida (but moved back home from MN - totally get those subzero temps). This is our current nest box set up on the outside. On the inside, we have 16 12x18 nest boxes. We open each door to access the box. They are all under a covered run, so are shaded and do not get any hotter than the coop does - but are made of wood.
That looks like a wonderful setup! I don't know why you'd want the manufactured one, although I can see how nifty that would be, provided you could keep the outer part in the shade.

That looks like a wonderful setup! I don't know why you'd want the manufactured one, although I can see how nifty that would be, provided you could keep the outer part in the shade.
This is our first coop. He is wanting the other ones for the second coop. I love our current nest set up - but our chickens are young yet (only 1 laying), so I'm hoping I continue to love them as more start using them

My hens prefer to be alone and unmolested in their favourite nestbox, and they want to lay in their favourite coop (I have 4 coops).
They don't lay in their own coop? We will be introducing chicks that have never lived in a coop to this second coop. The other chickens will remain in their own coop. Currently, the 6-week old chicks live in an open-air covered mini run with roosting rails inside the main run while we finish their coop. We let them out with the older chickens (thirteen 11 to 24 week-olds) during the day when we are out there to socialize. Once we finish the second coop, the two coops will share one very large run and we want them to already "know" each other.

A try at a community nest ended in lots of broken eggs and hens fighting.
I see you modified to include this - thank you for that information. It sounds very useful. BestNestBox was saying "In divided nest boxes, chickens often try to crowd each other out in the individual spaces. You can often have a particular space that becomes a favored place where multiple hens will cram in while leaving other spaces empty. A community style nest box helps alleviate this issue" - but I was pretty sure I had seen a discussion on here saying it didn't work well. and, I prefer experienced opinions over marketing speak. I couldn't find that post - but, while loving the roll-away idea, I'm not sold on the "community" part of it - and it's ugly.

Back
Top Bottom