Wrong way to winterize a run...

I want to know if there is anything a person can do, or has done that one could consider a BAD THING when winterizing a run.
I feel comfortable with how I have handled my coop. I think it will do fine this winter.
But I have seen so many different approaches to a RUN.
I have seen some do NOTHING and other people wrap it up so tight it becomes a mini-greenhouse!
I want to know more about BAD IDEAS when attempting to make the run a little nicer for the winter months.
My plan was to completely wrap half my run with plastic including the sand box under the coop, leaving the other 6 x 18 completely open.
I plan to leave openings for the chickens to pass between the covered portion and the uncovered.
The image below is an approximation of the wrapping I was planning.
Is there anything wrong with doing this? Is there anything in which I should be mindful?
Just do what feels right for you and your girls! Remember that you do need some ventilation in your coop! Good luck!!

My run is two 10x12 wooden structure runs connected for 24 feet of run. The hardware cloth sides are stapled on then secured with 1x2s. This gives a great base for the 7 mill clear plastic I staple on and then secure with another layer of 1x2s. I live in the Kansas City area so my zone typically gets a couple weeks of sub zero weather but the majority of winter is between 20-40 degrees. During the day I do open the door and lay year the gable ends plastic I didn't replace had openings for a couple square feet total. This gave pretty good ventilation and not much mess. I need to reintroduce some openings, perhaps something with an awning to keep the wet out. 20 chickens make things humid.
I remember several years ago in -10 weather worried about my poor chickens while I was at work. Then through the window at work I saw two crows fight over a piece of dropped pizza and noticed all the other birds running around unfazed. Food,water,a place to shelter out of the breeze and they'll bring their own down blankets. You'll think you have twice as many chickens the way they poof up. Birds with huge combs can get frost bit though so keep an eye out for that.

My run is two 10x12 wooden structure runs connected for 24 feet of run. The hardware cloth sides are stapled on then secured with 1x2s. This gives a great base for the 7 mill clear plastic I staple on and then secure with another layer of 1x2s. I live in the Kansas City area so my zone typically gets a couple weeks of sub zero weather but the majority of winter is between 20-40 degrees. During the day I do open the door and lay year the gable ends plastic I didn't replace had openings for a couple square feet total. This gave pretty good ventilation and not much mess. I need to reintroduce some openings, perhaps something with an awning to keep the wet out. 20 chickens make things humid.
I remember several years ago in -10 weather worried about my poor chickens while I was at work. Then through the window at work I saw two crows fight over a piece of dropped pizza and noticed all the other birds running around unfazed. Food,water,a place to shelter out of the breeze and they'll bring their own down blankets. You'll think you have twice as many chickens the way they poof up. Birds with huge combs can get frost bit though so keep an eye out for that.
I have all the stuff to cover the run with metal roofing, and I plan to wrap a few sides with plastic. I'll keep my eyes on the breeze, on windy days to see where I need to add more plastic.

Back
Top Bottom