Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Not great but better, I think. We thought she had broken a leg or something, but all the bones were fine, so we assumed she was just sore and left her alone. The next day she seemed to be unable to control her neck, almost like Parkinson's or something. She would keep her head down on her chest and just move it side to side. I started her on the vitamins (polyvisol, vit E, and selenium) and now she is gaining more control of her neck, but still having balancing issues. She seems to be struggling when standing and it's almost like it hurts her to stand completely upright, and when she does she almost always falls over sideways, to the front or to the back. She is my summer-salting chick. lol. But she is eating and drinking fine and seems to be happy. Just frustrated.
That's OK, she just needs more time, keep working with her, it's amazing because right when you think no hope it's been to long that's when they snap out of it. It's crazy but weird..

Broke leg bones you want to give them Vitamin B complete in there water.

Does she seem like she's having dizzy spells? moving her head in cirlcles..That could be part of wry neck as well.

She did have a lot of dizzy spells but she seems to be ok now, she just moves and can't truly control her movement, she doesnt seem to be able to balance on her feet - she still falls over a lot, but the shaking and neck swinging seem to be gone. I am thinking she just got really week and now is kinda re-teaching her muscles?? Does that sound right. She is still having difficulty balancing and falls face first a lot.

Sounds like the treatment is working!!!! That's great to hear. She must have had a bad case of it. Usually wry neck is caused by a good blow to the head. Silkies are one of the worst ones to get it because they have there brains on top of there skulls unlike normal chickens where they have a skull that protects there brain. Is your chick perhaps a silkie. Lol. It wouldn't surprise me if it is. Lol. So glad she's coming around don't cut back yet until she has fully recovered then you can gradually start taken her or him off the treatment. Remember you don't want to just stop treating them because it could very well come back and you'll have to start at square one. Good to hear though wooooo hooooo

I tried putting her back in with the other chickens but they pecked at her pretty badly, and since she is still a bit wobbly I am thinking it best to let her get stronger before putting her back in with them. But no - she is not a silkie, she is a Black Jersey Giant - from what I have read it says they are genetically prone to the mineral deficiency that causes/contributes to wry neck.

I tried putting her back in with the other chickens but they pecked at her pretty badly, and since she is still a bit wobbly I am thinking it best to let her get stronger before putting her back in with them. But no - she is not a silkie, she is a Black Jersey Giant - from what I have read it says they are genetically prone to the mineral deficiency that causes/contributes to wry neck.
OH GOD No, don't put her in with others. she's the weakest link right now and with them pecking at her head, SHOOTS, you are causing it to come back. OMG, NOOOO she can't go with the others yet. PLUS you can't just throw her in with the others, you have to separate her let the others see her but can't get to her. OMG!!!!! Well hopefully they didn't do a whole lot of damage to where you are going to need to start all over.. Good Lord, she should have never been placed back with others, like I said she needs to FULLY recover and Fully recover is when she is completely OFF the treatment and again even after that happens, you don't put her in with the others, you MUST gradually re--introduce them to her. Otherwise, you will continue to have this problem. OH BOY, I surely hope they didn't do to much damage to where you need to start over. I don't understand why you would think about putting her in with the others when her treatment isn't completed??

Oh my this must be quiet common in silkies :( I have one right now who is acting exactly like this :( I have her in a carry cage but am worried sick about her. She's not eating and forcing her to have a little liquid filled with vit E, electrolytes- is proving to be difficult. Like anther stated beforef I end up making a mess of her chest :( my question is s it normal for them not to poo while sick with wrye neck?? I haven't seen any poo since she's been in carry cage. Then tonight I think I saw a little bi of watery poo under where she is sitting. Is this normal with this illness? I will wet re crumble tomorrow but she's not interested in food :( any other advice is appreciated....

Sorry to be the thunder cloud, but it can take 3 months to cure. I used Vitamin B and E (not sure how much) and alot of force-feeding. It's usually a really bad sight (I've had my experiences....one less hen.
hit.gif
) If you wrap a towel around her and squeeze gently on both sides on the beak, it will open, so if you have problems feeding her, that's a way too. remember that Wry neck is a very ugly disease, so don't be discouraged.
Good Luck, keep us updated!
ChicChicken
fl.gif

Oh my this must be quiet common in silkies
sad.png
I have one right now who is acting exactly like this
sad.png
I have her in a carry cage but am worried sick about her. She's not eating and forcing her to have a little liquid filled with vit E, electrolytes- is proving to be difficult. Like anther stated beforef I end up making a mess of her chest
sad.png
my question is s it normal for them not to poo while sick with wrye neck?? I haven't seen any poo since she's been in carry cage. Then tonight I think I saw a little bi of watery poo under where she is sitting. Is this normal with this illness? I will wet re crumble tomorrow but she's not interested in food
sad.png
any other advice is appreciated....
This is very common with Silkies because there skull is underneath there brain, so if you were to open up there heads you would first see the brain, if you pull there brains out then you would see there skull. So because of this, one peck to the head. BOOM they are down. Sorry didn't mean to get so graphic..
If they are really BAD they will not eat. So the best thing is to get the Vitamin E and Polyvisol in her, let the Vitamins take affect, once she starts to recover, shell eat like crazy. is her head completely tucked inbetween her legs? if so then she does have a bad bad case of it. You will have to grab her head and hold it up to get her to take the vitamins.. I am a huge fan of Polyvisol so if you haven't done so already please get some. It's polyvisol without iron they can't have a lot of iron. At this point I wouldn't worry about her pooping, she is probably going to have watery poop because she has no solids in her. The main thing to concentrate is getting her head up. The best way to do that is to make sure she gets those vitamins. If it's just dripping down her chest then try putting the dropper or however you are giving it to her on the side of her beak, it doesn't sound like she's getting enough if it's just dripping down her chest. If still no luck open her mouth and give her a drop at the TIP of her beak, let her drink on her own, you don't want to force it down her throat. Keep me posted...

Sorry to be the thunder cloud, but it can take 3 months to cure. I used Vitamin B and E (not sure how much) and alot of force-feeding. It's usually a really bad sight (I've had my experiences....one less hen.
hit.gif
) If you wrap a towel around her and squeeze gently on both sides on the beak, it will open, so if you have problems feeding her, that's a way too. remember that Wry neck is a very ugly disease, so don't be discouraged.
Good Luck, keep us updated!
ChicChicken
fl.gif
I personally never had one take that long not to say it doesn't.. usually they recover quickly for me.

Back
Top Bottom