Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Ok first of all - she was not exhibiting any signs of wry neck - (unless the wobbly feet/balance is also a symptom of wry neck??) So we put her in with the other chickens for a total of 30 seconds, maybe, they were fine at first and tried to peck at her tail. I watched for about 20 seconds and decided to pull her back out. She was in NO way hurt or even upset by the encounter. She is very energetic and seems to be better. I did not mean to give you the impression that I put her in with the others and walked away or anything... :) I wouldn't do that to her, especially after hand feeding her for days. She still seems to have a little bit of balance issues, I am still giving her the med cocktail (polyvisol, selenium, and vit e) but I have dropped it down to every other day in wet chick feed with scrambled egg - and polyvisol in her water (just a few drops).

Ok first of all - she was not exhibiting any signs of wry neck - (unless the wobbly feet/balance is also a symptom of wry neck??) So we put her in with the other chickens for a total of 30 seconds, maybe, they were fine at first and tried to peck at her tail. I watched for about 20 seconds and decided to pull her back out. She was in NO way hurt or even upset by the encounter. She is very energetic and seems to be better. I did not mean to give you the impression that I put her in with the others and walked away or anything... :) I wouldn't do that to her, especially after hand feeding her for days. She still seems to have a little bit of balance issues, I am still giving her the med cocktail (polyvisol, selenium, and vit e) but I have dropped it down to every other day in wet chick feed with scrambled egg - and polyvisol in her water (just a few drops).
LOL that's exactly what I thought, I though you just threw her in with the others. WHEW. LOL... Sounds like your doing a good job...
yesss.gif

Is she fallen on her face when she tries to walk? Usually wry neck is affected by the head and you'll see the chick do circles and look like they are having dizzy spells, even tuck there heads in between there leggs and walk backwards.. The weakness of feet, I would try putting one pill of Vit B complete in her water, have her drink that, Vitamin B is very good for there legs.

I will try the vitamin B in the water, is it a special blend or just 'B'? She had wry neck really bad, but I think she is over the worst of it, but she still tips forward occasionally and seems to stumble when she walks. Most of the severe symptoms seem to be gone. I put them all outside today and made her a special pen next to her flock mates. There is a fence between them though to keep them from pecking at her.

I will try the vitamin B in the water, is it a special blend or just 'B'? She had wry neck really bad, but I think she is over the worst of it, but she still tips forward occasionally and seems to stumble when she walks. Most of the severe symptoms seem to be gone. I put them all outside today and made her a special pen next to her flock mates. There is a fence between them though to keep them from pecking at her.
It should say on the label Vitamin B Complete. Really good stuff for legs. Sounds great that she is recovering so well. WOO HOO

Thank you for the responses. Yes she's worse today :( I can't tell which way her neck is twisted. Her head is kinda backwards and yes under her wing now.. I'm still feeding her with syringe with vit E.. She can't stand and every so offen throws herself like backwards. Is this normal?? I won't give up, but it's pretty horrible to see :( ( my poor baby) I have her wrapped in a towel to prop her up.. How will I know if she's getting worse/ better?? And also should the liquid I'm feeding her be warm or is cold ok?? I will keep you posted but I'm struggling & I think she's pretty sick :(

Thank you for the responses. Yes she's worse today
sad.png
I can't tell which way her neck is twisted. Her head is kinda backwards and yes under her wing now.. I'm still feeding her with syringe with vit E.. She can't stand and every so offen throws herself like backwards. Is this normal?? I won't give up, but it's pretty horrible to see
sad.png
( my poor baby) I have her wrapped in a towel to prop her up.. How will I know if she's getting worse/ better?? And also should the liquid I'm feeding her be warm or is cold ok?? I will keep you posted but I'm struggling & I think she's pretty sick
sad.png
Try to send me a pic, sounds like she is really bad. How long has it been since she ate? If just recently for three days only concentrate on getting the vitamins in her, if it's been more then three days then try feeding her a liquid diet meal instead of trying to get wet soft food in her. worst case would be her head between her legs to where her head is practically underneath her vent, almost pooping on her head. going backwards all the time.

starting to recover case would be head slowly coming out from underneath her very very wobbly but able to keep it from going between her legs, each day this will improve until it's fully upright.

She may have something else going on besides wry neck. the throwing herself back doesn't sound right. Does she actually throw herself so back that she lays on her back? I'm trying to picture this and Im not quite seeing it. If she's throwing herself back does she do it with her head so that her head goes up but jerk really hard and she falls on her back?

Mine was that bad too, almost dead, but from all the insight I got here she is recovering nicely. What I did: I bought a small bag of medicated chick feed, a bottle of poly vi sol, a bottle of selenium, bottle of non flavored -no dyes pediasure and a bottle of vitamin e capsules. I would crush one tablet of selenium, poke a hole in the vit e capsule and squeeze all of the vitamin e out, a full dropper of poly vi sol and add all of that to the chick crumbles, then I added non - flavored/dye free pediasure to the crumbles until it looked like mud. Mix it all up really well! then I took a spoon and held my chicks head over it until she would start to eat For a couple days I had to place her beak in her food and water while holding her in my lap - carefully to not drown her. I would feed her every 45 minutes or so at first, then every couple of hours. But now she is in complete control of her neck and only has a little balance issue which we are working on.

Ok, she hasn't eaten for at least 3 days :( the throwing backwards is - Sge pushes with her feet and as she's pushing her front lifts up and over she goes onto her back.. Most mornings I attend to her She is either on her side or back. When I gently pick her up and sit her feet down she pushes out- it takes her a minute to settle and let me reposition her. I can't put her beak into any bowl etc as its resting on her back and I can't get anything under it. I'm worried about her neck but I don't know which way it's twisted.
You say her head under her legs near vent is the worst case. It's not like that at all. It's just turned all the way around but still resting in her back. Her beak is facing her tail... I use the syringe and drop the liquid on her beak, she drinks most of the drops. I haven't got any if this seleuim, can I get that from a chemist??
I've been using the liquid water from my veges I cook for myself and my birds ( lol) and I've been adding vit e & a vitamin concentrate for sick animals ( nutri gel) to it.. How do I feed her a liquid meal?? What can I use..
It's day 4 today but I'm losing hope :(
I'll take a pic when I get home from work.. Thank you for helping me. It's a horrible illness...
Thanks again Debbie
Ps is there a way to tell which way her head is suppose to go??

Try to send me a pic, sounds like she is really bad.  How long has it been since she ate?  If just recently for three days only concentrate on getting the vitamins in her, if it's been more then three days then try feeding her a liquid diet meal instead of trying to get wet soft food in her.  worst case would be her head between her legs to where her head is practically underneath her vent, almost pooping on her head.  going backwards all the time.

starting to recover case would be head slowly coming out from underneath her very very wobbly but able to keep it from going between her legs, each day this will improve until it's fully upright.

She may have something else going on besides wry neck.  the throwing herself back doesn't sound right. Does she actually throw herself so back that she lays on her back? I'm trying to picture this and Im not quite seeing it.  If she's throwing herself back does she do it with her head so that her head goes up but jerk really hard and she falls on her back?

Here us a pic of her today- I bought some selenium tablets and more vit e. I just gave it to her. She seems to be more interested in actually drinking it from syringe today. Maybe slight progress :) can you tell me how to make a liquid feed for her please

I'm still not sure which way her head is twisted :( is their a way to tell? I can move it equally to both sides but she gets distressed and I'm worried its the wrong way :(
Will she eventually straighten it in her own if she recovers? Or will leaving it like this create issues in her neck any ways?

Back
Top Bottom