Wry Neck Help

DLynch176

Hatching
Jul 4, 2020
My 10-ish week-old Cuckoo Maren developed wry neck 1 week ago. I have been giving her supplements as recommended, hand feeding and keeping her safe from the rest of my little flock. She has gotten stronger but I do lose hope for her from time to time. She is working to figure out how to bring her neck back up, and can hold it there when I help her with positioning. I have read that this can take up to a month to clear. Is there anyone with words of wisdom / insight as to if I should continue to hold out hope that she will recover? Also, she has a related problem which I cannot find any information on. Her eye on the side she bends toward won't shut. I have been applying vaseline as was recommended to me. I cannot tell right now if she can see out of that eye as it has a blank stare and she lets me apply vaseline without any reaction. Her other pretty much stays closed but she can open it when she is aggravated with me or when I take her to visit the other girls (no sign of trauma or infection that I can tell in the good eye). I am crossing my fingers that this may correct itself once she is upright and not disoriented (I don't expect vision in that eye due to mounting damage from being open). Any thougths on that? I am wondering if there was an injury that caused this. None of the others are impacted. Also, she has no reason I can see for a vitamin deficiency (based on the feed I buy). I don't want to set up for a miserable life by continuing to "heal" her, but I don't want to give up if there is more hope than I see right now. Thank you for any help!

If she does get better I wouldn't ever hatch her eggs. :( I have Silkies I got from the hatchery and 3 of them have wry neck and one has a severe crossbeak. I culled all my Silkie roosters so I wouldn't ever be tempted to breed them.
I put Rooster Booster in their water once in a while when I notice them having problems. It helps after a couple days and I give them to a week after they are better. It's on going. Every time they go broody they suffer again, and again I have to do treatments.
I am still considered culling mine, they have been very high maintence even though they are sweet birds...

Attachments

• 1593879292485.png
    1593879292485.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom