Wry neck, how to know if this is a one-way slide?

Corid is a thiamine blocker and used to treat coccidiosis, a common parasite in spring when soil is very moist. These parasites are usually present in every chicken's gut all the time, but during spring thaw, the populations can explode and overwhelm a chicken. They depend on extracting thiamine (B-1) from the intestines to complete their life cycle. They can kill a chicken. Get liquid Corid at most feed stores. Mix two teaspoons into a gallon of water and give it to the whole flock for five days.

Sick chickens can have a drench dose at .1ml per pound of weight once a day for three days in addition to the Corid water.

Hm, there was another thread about coccidiosis so that's what you were probably thinking of. I'm in SoCal on the flats so we're not having a thaw. It's been wet but it's pretty dry. I'm down with the fungal theory but dh is skeptical. He's thinking something viral from little songbirds. But I would think the other two would be affected if so. One of them may have been sick, but certainly not like this. I'm still going with fungal but I might go try the antibx. Cause I dont' think this is working much. She's *so* dead to the world. Except when I feed her. When I hold her head correctly she thrusts her tongue out for food like a baby bird. She's very thirsty. I again cut her food off earlier bc it was hard for me to imagine she could have really needed as much as she was asking for. I was suspecting this was just an automatic reaction, maybe, to getting the head into the right position?? Yikes, the amount I don't know....

Coccidia are everywhere, and it doesn't always need to be wet. Chickens usually develop resistance to the coccidia in their local soil if they're exposed to it from early chickhood, but adult chickens brought in from another locale can be susceptible. Also, if you bring home top soil or sand, that can import a different strain of coccidia and your chickens won't be resistant. Even loaning out a mower and when it's returned, mowing your grass can import new coccidia. I recommend always keeping Corid on hand as coccidiosis is one of the most common ways chickens can get sick.

Corid is safe. It's is not anything that interacts with other meds. It can save a chicken's life. There is a very inexpensive test any vet can run for you. Gather a fecal sample from a sick hen and have a vet run a fecal float test. At the same time, the vet can see if there are intestinal worms as well as coccidia in abnormal amounts. Worming can be safely done at the same time as Corid.

If your husband is adverse to trying treatments without knowing for sure what is making the chickens sick, tell him you can wait for the chicken to die and then take the body to an agricultural lab and have a necropsy done. It will tell you what killed the chicken.

The cost of trying these treatments is not nearly the cost of a necropsy. And you just might still have a live healthy chicken when it's all finished.

Give her one whole capsule right away directly into her beak.

Tomorrow, open the capsule and divide in half, and give 250mg per day. You will have to get creative on getting the loose powder into her. I've found a tiny piece of bread dipped in olive oil and then used to sop up the powder works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom