Wry Neck in 2 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nurseshelly, Mar 24, 2012.

1. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Hi,
    I have a new Serama chick with wry neck. I'm gong to get vitamins this morning. I was wondering if there is anything else that would be good to try. I also was wondering which is better; polyvisol without iron, or chick vitamins (like save a chick)?
    Thanks!!!
    Here are some pictures. The little one can almost straighten his/her head for a few seconds (once got it totally straight but I couldn't get a picture of it), but then it goes back twisty. He/she will try to straighten his/her head sometimes when standing, and it makes him/her flip over onto his/her back.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I would try to polysol with out Iron. That is what I have heard to be recommended. I hope the little guy gets better.

3. nurseshelly

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    That's what I did, I also gave him a little sugar water.

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I had one sort of like this a couple of years ago. I separated it from the others and took it in the house. We took special care of it of about for about 6 weeks but it never feathered or grew. It did not eat much. It's neck got worse. After about 6 weeks we finally decided to put it down. Hopefully your perks up. I debated about posting this reply but thought I would so that you would be aware that it may or may not get better.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I agree with the poly-vi-sol in water. If he's not drinking well, offer by dropper. Healthy chick vibes coming your way.

6. nurseshelly

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks to everyone for the replies :)
    The chick is all better, and she/he is out with the rest of the babies and a broody mama Serama :)

7. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    so glad to hear!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by