Wry Neck in 8 wk old bantam

Bantam chooks

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2020
UK
:Update post:
A couple days ago I made a post on her after she put her head upside down and couldn't seem to bring it back up again and we had no idea what was up with her. Long story short we have come to the conclusion that she most likely has Wry Neck.
Early days but she has perked up a bit and and she still has her personality there. She's currently got access to chick crumb and water, the water has a poutry drink diluted in which will help her feel better as it has minerals and other good things in. I also give her Wheat germ, with water in so it's like porridge so she gets food and water which she loves and gobbles it all up. She also had some scambled egg which she ate, so her appitite is still there, only trouble so far is getting her to drink enough. We also have Vitamin E oil but don't want to over load her with too much, ideas?
I'll attach some photos of her so you can see what she's like
I hope she will make a good recovery. She also has her sister with her but I didn't split them up becuase they're ok together and they get really loud and sqaurk if they're seperated.
She's doing less of the upside-down neck thing and today she successfully preened without falling in a 'stuck neck' thing. But she still has a tilt to her head.
These photos are from the first couple of days
20200219_183929.jpg
20200219_181832.jpg

We've had chickens for years (5+) but this is our first time coming across Wry Neck

I've tried about everything over the years with the chickens I've had with wry neck. My only success was with a 6 week old male. I kept a one quart water bottle filled with water and added one capsule of vitamin E oil. I would also add a vitamin supplement containing Biotin. This was refilled every day and was the only source of water for the chick. I kept it up for several weeks but within 2 weeks I couldn't tell that he had ever had a problem and he developed into a fine rooster.
It sounds like you are doing things right. Just make sure the chick gets enough of the vitamin E.

Wheat germ has some vitamin E in it. Vitamin E is not water soluble, unless you buy the soluble kind, so I would not put it in water. Most people use 400 IU daily with chickens, in addition to a source of vitamin B1 thiamine. B1 deficiency can sometimes be a cause of wry neck, as well as E deficiency. A very small amount of selenium is useful for the uptake of vitamin E, and just a little scrambled egg has enough. A supplement such as Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell have E, B1, and selenium, and some add a little more E for good measure.

Glad that she is doing a little better. Silkies can be very probe to wry neck or toricolis. Getting enough food and water into her is very important.

Here is a good YouTube video of how to feed a chicken with severe wry neck that might be helpful:

She's ok for feeding herself as long as it is at a suitable height for her to reach comfortably but we don't see her drink much. There's a water bottle that we added in there (the ones for rabbits and guinea pigs) but she's still learning how to drink for it right

Adding water to some of her feed, which most chickens seem to like, is a good way to get water into them. I fed a sick hen last year for 5 weeks, and she would not drink any water (and could not get to it,) and she lived on wet chicken feed. I dripped water on scrambled egg, tuna, cat food, or whatever she would take. Let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom