wry neck in chickens??

dogbitesandbeestings

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
MA
I have a Silkie that is about 12 weeks old. Last night I noticed her twisting her neck/head to look at me in an odd manner. When I pick her up, it is worse and she holds her head low and twisted to the side.

If she is walking around, at times she seems normal...then goes back to twisting her neck and holdking her head low.

To chickens get wry neck? I gave her vitamins last night. Suggestions? Hope??

Thanks in advance.

Karen:(

Wry neck seems to be common in certain breeds. I hae never had this happen, but had read many posts on the subject. Vitamins..and message seem to have helped a few. Hope your hen gets better.

Thanks for the info....doesn't look very promising. How that heck can you protect Silkies against this?? Little helmets???LOL!

I have only Silkies in this area of the coop and they are a pretty mellow bunch.

We'll see how this goes.

Karen

Is she on medicated chick feed? I had a pullet who did the same thing at that age. Removed her from the medicated chick feed and added baby vitamins (PolyViSol) to her water and she made a full recovery. Amprolium is a thiamin blocker, which I have read can cause this problem in growing birds.

Because it's a silkie, I would not rule out the skull issue as well. But it's worth a try to consider everything. Hope she recovers for you.

Jody

I have a chicken whose head is bent low, she can't control her neck and can't find her food and water without help, what causes this and what di i do, can my other chickens get this, an old wives tale, i guess says this is from eating maggots and rotten meat, is this true,

Back
Top Bottom