Wry neck in yr old hen?

Fcarter

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2017
This morning I noticed one of my cemanis drop her neck and rush backward. She did this twice. Seemed fine afterward, eating and drinking fine. She is just over a yr old. Is this too old for wry neck? What else could it be? Thanks

Chickens can get the many forms of wry neck at any time over their lives. A vitamin E 400iu capsule popped into her beak may be all it takes to fix her E deficiency. But give her one capsule daily for about three days to be sure, unless symptoms continue, then continue the daily E until symptoms are no longer present.

This morning I noticed one of my cemanis drop her neck and rush backward. She did this twice. Seemed fine afterward, eating and drinking fine. She is just over a yr old. Is this too old for wry neck? What else could it be? Thanks
Photos?:pop

Is she molting?

It wouldn't hurt to give her 1/4 Tablet Human B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E for a few days.

Birds can develop symptoms of Wry Neck (which is a symptom) at any age. I would investigate her further to see if there's another reason for her behavior. Look for pin feathers coming in and for lice/mites.

Photos?:pop

Is she molting?

It wouldn't hurt to give her 1/4 Tablet Human B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E for a few days.

Birds can develop symptoms of Wry Neck (which is a symptom) at any age. I would investigate her further to see if there's another reason for her behavior. Look for pin feathers coming in and for lice/mites.
There are feathers in the pen but not as much as molting. Since I can't tell them apart would it hurt to treat all of the hens? Is it possible to treat the water instead of each hen? Not sure I can get the pills in and down her throat by myself.

There are feathers in the pen but not as much as molting. Since I can't tell them apart would it hurt to treat all of the hens? Is it possible to treat the water instead of each hen? Not sure I can get the pills in and down her throat by myself.
It would be good to examine the bird that was exhibiting symptoms that you saw.

Pills are pretty easy to administer yourself. Just pull down on the wattles and pop the pill inside the beak, let go of the wattles. She'll swallow it unless you have a pill shooter on your hands. So get ready to catch if that's the case. :lol: Practice makes perfect, you'll have the hang of it in no time.

IF you can't figure out which bird, then I would suggest you use a poultry vitamin that goes in the flocks water and do it that way. Look for one that has B1, B2 and E. But I would only give them vitamin water 1-2 times a week, they also need fresh plain water as well.
Hence direct dosing the hen in question is best practice.

It would be good to examine the bird that was exhibiting symptoms that you saw.

Pills are pretty easy to administer yourself. Just pull down on the wattles and pop the pill inside the beak, let go of the wattles. She'll swallow it unless you have a pill shooter on your hands. So get ready to catch if that's the case. :lol: Practice makes perfect, you'll have the hang of it in no time.

IF you can't figure out which bird, then I would suggest you use a poultry vitamin that goes in the flocks water and do it that way. Look for one that has B1, B2 and E. But I would only give them vitamin water 1-2 times a week, they also need fresh plain water as well.
Hence direct dosing the hen in question is best practice.
I will try and find the correct hen. This is the vit E capsule that I have. It looks so big. I don't want to have to perform the heimlich on her. 😬

Attachments

• 20210707_111728.jpg
    20210707_111728.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 2
She'll swallow it LOL
Well, now I have another problem. I have watched the hens and have not seen the behavior repeated. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 of the 3 girls. Both have drooped tails. One much more than than the other one. She sits alone in a hole she dug. Should I give each hen a vit E since I cant be certain? It is extremely hot here today also. Thanks.

Well, now I have another problem. I have watched the hens and have not seen the behavior repeated. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 of the 3 girls. Both have drooped tails. One much more than than the other one. She sits alone in a hole she dug. Should I give each hen a vit E since I cant be certain? It is extremely hot here today also. Thanks.
I have attched a pic of the 2 in question

I have attched a pic of the 2 in question
I'm not seeing the photos.

Hot weather can take it's tole on birds, but it would be good to examine both just to make sure they are doing ok. Tails downs...maybe the heat but I would be concerned about something reproductive going on.

Wait until it cools off a bit or until they are roosting to look each one over. Less stress that way. While you have them, look to make sure lice/mites are not an issue, feel abdomens for bloat or fluid.

It won't hurt them to give each one vitamin E and B-Complex for several days, so if you aren't sure which Gal it is, then treat them both.

Back
Top Bottom