Wry neck only at night?

deadwoodhollow

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 2, 2014
I went out to let mt chickens out one morning and one of my 5 month old ladies was on her side with her head twisted at an odd angle. At first I thought maybe it was wry neck, separated her from the other chickens started her on poly vi sol, vitamin E w/ selenium, gave electrolytes and high protein diet. After a day she was able to stand on her own and her head was almost normal (slight tilt to the side) but she goes into the weird neck/ head twist at night. Called the vet and he said that it sounds like an ear infection and gave me albon suspension (he said it may or may not work. She is almost normal during the day but still wonky at night It is going on 3 weeks. She is a sweet little girl and would prefer not to end her life but I have too many other animals to care for to have one with special needs. Any other suggestions as to what may be causing her to go into the wry neck only at night when she tries to sleep?

I have not tried worming her and she is indoors since this has happened so she has not been cold. I wrap her in a towel at night and prop her head otherwise she falls over and flaps to try to right herself.

At this point I would worm her. Better to be safe than sorry, worms can do a lot of damage. I use safeguard liquid goat wormer, but there are others other there like valbazen. Have you checked for lice or mites? Just trying to rule some things out here. Are her droppings normal?

No lice or mites, droppings are normal. Will head out and get some wormer and see if that helps. :) All the other chickens are fine. I have had chickens for 4 years and have never had an issue other than one naughty rude hen who pulls feathers from the other ladies. This is my first illness. During the summer they get watermelon to eat which I heard can be a natural wormer.

That is peculiar. Especially since it's only at night. Even if it were an ear infection you think it would affect her all day. I hope other people chime in with some ideas.

That is what has me confused. First day it was day and night and by day 2 she was fine by 11 am and would go back into it when she was going to fall asleep at night. Now she is fine by 4 am. Maybe she will gradually get better? I hope someone else has gone through this and can offer some advice as to what it is and how to treat it.! My vet has never dealt with this weird night time issue before.

I had a hen and rooster go funky in the neck in January. The hen was so bad she couldn't control her neck whatsoever, her head just hung limp. I hand fed and watered them for a few days until they had enough control to do it themselves. I too used the poly vi sol and vitamin e with selenium (and lots of mite spray because that was my culprit sadly) It took quite a bit of time, but they pulled through and have been healthy ever since. Maybe it's like you said she's working her way out of it and with some more time that will do it. Good luck, I hope it wall works out.

Explain wry neck at night only and how she is going into it. My guess for her issues at night could be due to the fact that she is more relaxed at night and neck issue is more noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom