Wry neck only improving so far...

Dknichelson

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
Hello, about a week ago one of our 5 week old chicks came down with Wry Neck. At first she was very weak, unbalanced and her neck was twisted. After treating with selenium, vitamin E and a chick vitamin supplement her neck improved, her eating and drinking is back to normal, but her balance and ability to stand or walk has not returned. She wants to and thinks she can, but she just does somersaults and when she lays its always on her side. I'm struggling with what to do. I'm leaning toward culling, but in some ways she acts so "normal" so I'm hesitant. I just wonder if she'll ever regain her ability to walk again. Thoughts?

Hello Dknichelson,

I am kind of going through something similar. I have had my baby chick on Vitamin E and Selenium for a little over a week now but I am not really seeing any improvement. Additionally, it is not feathering correctly. She is only a little over a week old and was apparently born with this condition. I am struggling as to what I should do too. I don't know that she could ever lead a normal chicken life. The kicker is that she doesn't seem to be in pain and I think she must have a will to live.

I need help too!! My week old chick still has wry neck and I give her vitamin E and probiotics and electrolytes in her water. I didn't find selenium, though.... could that be why she is not improving? Her balance seems to be getting worse... please help, I don't want to cull until I have exhausted absolutely every last possibility

I don't know that she could ever lead a normal chicken life.  The kicker is that she doesn't seem to be in pain and I think she must have a will to live.

That's what I'm struggling with as well. She seems happy and chirping and interested in food and water. Really full of life. But, she can stand or walk on her own and isn't improving there.

I need help too!! My week old chick still has wry neck and I give her vitamin E and probiotics and electrolytes in her water. I didn't find selenium, though.... could that be why she is not improving? Her balance seems to be getting worse... please help, I don't want to cull until I have exhausted absolutely every last possibility

From what I've read, selenium is necessary to absorb vitamin E.

Hey Dk,
Have you tried polyvisol yet? I'm considering adding this to the regime. I plan to pick some up tomorrow. The reading I've done suggests 3 weeks is near average for recovery. I have decided to reevaluate her condition on a week by week basis and use photos to help battle my bias.

Also, I'm curious as to whether you are hand feeding the vitamins or giving them to her mixed in feed and/or water.

Ok. I have the selenium ordered and should be here in a couple days. Fingers crossed that it works.
NOW I have a chick that has a bad eye. She can open it just fine but it has a hazy film over it... reminds me of cataracts in people..... is this fixable?

Hey Gilley and DK;
Wondering how things are going for you guys. I'd say my gal has become more full of life and grown a bit. Her feathering patterns are more even and normal then before (though still not quite right). I did add polyvisol and tumeric to her diet and also a little plastic yellow duck.
None-the-less her neck is still crooked (though slightly better), I am very on edge about what I should do. Her demeanor is much better and in my mind rules out culling, but at the same time her neck does not look like it could ever be normal.
Perhaps since the condition started at birth despite her getting a little better, remains crooked because her bones grew to accommodate the crookedness and she will never be normal? Oh what to do? so full of life, so verbal, and seemingly happy with a rubber duck as a best friend? What to do, what to do?

Back
Top Bottom