Wry Neck quail chick

Quailer

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2015
Hey there,
I recently hatched some japanese quails and I am completely new
at bird keeping:D
My first chick hatched fine, but after a day or two it got Wry Neck...
It still eats and all, and it's even bigger than the rest, but I would prefer a chick without a crooked neck ;)
Any help would be greatly appreciated:D

Sorry about your baby. Wry neck can sometimes be treated and sometimes not. Depends on how bad it is. Wry neck can be genetic, it can be a vitamin deficiency or sometimes chicks that hatch from small eggs have neck trouble being cramped in the egg so long in a tiny space.

All you can do is try vitamins. Wry neck birds need Vitamins E, B and Selenium. You might start with an E gel cap and prick it open and dribble it slowly into the chicks mouth. Or it on some warmed chopped hard boiled eggs. Eggs contain all the building blocks of life and especially these E, B and Selenium. You need the selenium to help the E work.

See if you can't get some high potency poultry vitamins with these vitamins and others in to this chick. Something water based you can put in the water. And feed them hard boiled eggs daily. They can live on hard boiled eggs exclusively for long periods of time too. Clean up what they don't eat as egg will grow bacteria under heat lamps.

Good luck with your baby!! Some make it, some don't. I hope your little guy pulls through.

Just another question,
My 2 quail chicks (the third is being nursed)
squeak incredible loudly, today is the first time the've done this.
It gets a bit irratating...
1f615.png

When chicks get too loud, something is wrong. Either they are too hot, too cold, hungry, thirsty, etc...

So make sure your temp is correct at 95 degrees, heat lamp off to one side, food and water on the other on the cool side of the brooder. Temp gauge directly on the floor beneath the heat lamp. Do not cover your brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange.

Lay paper towels down around the feeder and sprinkle CRUSHED food all around the floor. Tap with your finger like you are eating it. You need to show them where the food is and how to eat it this way. You can remove the towels in a few days once they all know how to find the feed. You can stop crushing after a week or so.

Dip all beaks in the water when you first put them into the brooder and then set them down right in front of the water. This helps to teach them where the water is.

Chicks would be shown all this by their momma's in the wild, so you need to help them along at first.

Yes, they do bond quite quickly to the first large object hovering over them and not eating them.
lol.png

Some chicks are just loud the first few days but they do quiet down I promise you.

Although...once in a while I will get a chick and usually this is the first one that hatches, that will call to me in the night. They are SURE mom is supposed to be snuggling up with them at night and one of them will call ALL night long. LOL But this phase passes. Just give them time and love and they will grow up to be more independent.

Great, LOL
I think as long as he knows someone is in the room he quitens down.
He's the first-hatched :)

Hello again!
Both quails are doing brilliantly, although the one still has a bent neck.
I was just wondering when to move them to quail layers pelllets, it does say on the bag
that the pellets can also be used as finisher pellets.
Any help would be really appreciated :)

Last edited:
I always kept mine on 28% turkey starter because that was what I could get. You can offer oyster shell on the side.

Back
Top Bottom