Wry neck/sick chick

Chelloeeo

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
at about 7 days old one of my chicks seemingly out of nowhere suddenly had stargazing wrenching it’s head back and was having trouble standing, stopped eating and drinking on its own. I had never seen this before and honestly thought it was a gonner and initially didn’t try to do much. I thought it would probably die by morning and as young and as bad as it looked i thought if I saved it it would probably be crippled for life. But my husband noticed it doing a little better the next day and we had been researching and figured out it was probably wry neck and so we decided to try to save it. We took it out of the brooder with its own heat source and have been syringing it drops of mixes with vitamix, egg yolk, sugar and water for going on the 3rd day now. She eats it when we give it to her and have noticed very little improvements but she is still weak, doesn’t seem to be growing much if any and head is still wrenched. Doesn’t eat or drink anything on her own. My question is how long should I try before it’s likely she won’t recover. Has anyone had experience with this where they survived and did well or the alternate? I just don’t want to prolong her suffering if she’s likely not going to recover. Any advise is appreciated***on a possibly unrelated note we had 1 other chick in the 16 did suddenly with no signs of illness at all, but we did have a heat lamp go out, however we also use a heat plate and that was fine all the other chicks just got under that so not sure if that was shock or an illness***

Update: my chick is doing much better and back to eating and drinking on her own and back in with the other chicks who are now about twice her size. After a couple days back in the coup she is still seeming to sleep more than the other chicks and spends a lot of time under the heating plate but when she is awake she will walk around, eat and drink but clearly doesn’t have as much energy as the other chicks,is this normal for recovery or should I be concerned she is relapsing. We are s to lol trying to supplement her the vitamins as much as we can, but she’s probably not getting as much as when she was first sick

Update: my chick is doing much better and back to eating and drinking on her own and back in with the other chicks who are now about twice her size. After a couple days back in the coup she is still seeming to sleep more than the other chicks and spends a lot of time under the heating plate but when she is awake she will walk around, eat and drink but clearly doesn’t have as much energy as the other chicks,is this normal for recovery or should I be concerned she is relapsing. We are s to lol trying to supplement her the vitamins as much as we can, but she’s probably not getting as much as when she was first sick
I would continue to treat consistently for a couple more weeks, or until you don't see any noticeable issues.

Back
Top Bottom