wry neck? trying meds need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kotiya, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Kotiya

Kotiya Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    We have 12 that hatched and are now 1 wk old. One of them is noticeably unable to hold his head straight. We aren't sure if we didn't notice it at first, because we thought he just looked like he was still cramped in the shell, or if it wasn't there. Now its obvious. If we force his head upright, he is quite uncomfortable, and we can't make it tip the other way at all. He is as active as everyone else. Seems to be eating and drinking fine. Not sure if we should try vitamins? Patience? I don't want a chick in pain, but I don't want to cull a chicken that has a chance. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. Animalrescue

Animalrescue New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    If possible, use a pop-sickle stick to keep it's head sraight.[​IMG]

3. Kotiya

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    ok so I'm trying this:
    Vitamin E gel caps and Polyvisol without iron. I also bought Selenium (could NOT find the E with it). I can hold the chick and place bitty drops of the E and Polyvisol at the side of the beak. Patience, and I can get him to take it. But the Selenium is supposed to help the E be absorbed and it came in a pill which I've ground up. Now I'm stumped because I can't figure out how to give it to him. Isn't it wierd that this batch of chicks isn't trying the new foods I put in for them? I've tried applesauce and yogurt and a peach. No tries. So I can't figure out how to get any of the Selenium in "Tippy." Any suggestions?

4. Kotiya

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    I took away their food and put in some scrambled eggs (uncooked) to which I had added three crushed Selenium pills. I hope it can't hurt the others. I've seen two tasting it (out of 6). At some point they should get hungry, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by