Wry Neck

ChristyC14

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2019
How do you treat wry neck. My girl was looking better yesterday even had her back tail up she still has one swollen eye, no discharge but this morning woke up with what I can only believe to be wry neck. She did really well slept on me for about an hour today. I helped guide her to her food and water and she is now sleeping for the night. Looking for advice on what to do. I feel as if it's not one thing then it's another. Started on Sunday as a respiratory issue, yesterday the eye, today its wry neck. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you see any bubbles or drainage in her eyes, or pus (thick white gunk?) Is she sneezing or coughing, and do you hear any crackles or wheezes when she breathes? Is she gasping?
Since wry neck can be caused by a number of things, I would watch her closely. Head injuries, vitamin B1 thiamine or vitamin E deficiency, and infectious diseases that cause brain inflammation can be possible causes.

Treatment usually is vitamin E 400 IU daily, plus some thiamine which is in most chicken vitamins. I don’t recommend giving selenium, since only a little is needed. That can be found in a small amount of scrambled egg or tuna each day. Make sure that she is drinking, and help her eat if she is unable.

Do you see any bubbles or drainage in her eyes, or pus (thick white gunk?) Is she sneezing or coughing, and do you hear any crackles or wheezes when she breathes? Is she gasping?
Since wry neck can be caused by a number of things, I would watch her closely. Head injuries, vitamin B1 thiamine or vitamin E deficiency, and infectious diseases that cause brain inflammation can be possible causes.

Treatment usually is vitamin E 400 IU daily, plus some thiamine which is in most chicken vitamins. I don’t recommend giving selenium, since only a little is needed. That can be found in a small amount of scrambled egg or tuna each day. Make sure that she is drinking, and help her eat if she is unable.

She did have a crackling sound to her on Sunday so was treating her for a respiratory infection. She is allot better from that and she is no longer making sounds. The eye is closed and swollen red, but no pus or any discharge at all from the eye.

Can you post a picture of the swollen eye? Sometimes pus builds up in the sinus cavities and needs to be squeezed out before the eye will get better. You can try to do that, clean the eye and put some Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain triple antibiotic ointment into the eye twice a day. Look up into the roof of her beak to see if there is any pus up in there as well. Here is a very graphic video on removing pus:

Can you post a picture of the swollen eye? Sometimes pus builds up in the sinus cavities and needs to be squeezed out before the eye will get better. You can try to do that, clean the eye and put some Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain triple antibiotic ointment into the eye twice a day. Look up into the roof of her beak to see if there is any pus up in there as well. Here is a very graphic video on removing pus:

Here is the photo of the eye. I will run to the feed store tomorrow to pick up the Terrymycine

Attachments

• 9D2983D9-0087-4BDC-AFC3-E86504B35031.jpeg
    9D2983D9-0087-4BDC-AFC3-E86504B35031.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom