Wry neck

Chixen doll

Hatching
Aug 6, 2020
Hi all. I’m afraid one of my baby chicks may have wry neck. She seems to have a kink in her neck and hold it to the right side. Anyone know how I can help her to get better?
Pic attached

Attachments

• 41D7E49D-A615-48D8-A5C0-03DD107C0C22.jpeg
    41D7E49D-A615-48D8-A5C0-03DD107C0C22.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 9
  • F0921201-6601-4AEE-A65F-161EB5F52B73.jpeg
    F0921201-6601-4AEE-A65F-161EB5F52B73.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC. Wry neck or torticolis can be hereditary, caused by a head injury, or a vitamin E or B1 thiamine. I would give her 400 IU of vitamin E daily, plus a little B1 thiaminein a chick vitamin or some human b complex tablet 1/4 tablet crushed into some water or food. She may need help feeding and watering.

It may or may not. Each case is different. I really hope that she gets better soon. I would treat her for at least 2 weeks to see if she improves. Please let us know how she gets along.

I picked up two chicks two days ago from a woman 1.5 hours away from me. On my way home, I noticed it seemed like one had a tic. I reached out to some other chicken people in my area, as well as, studied online. I ended up leaving work for like 30 minutes and ran home to start my chicks on a vitamin / mineral / electrolyte mix I already had. This was around 6am. When I got home at 1pm I noted marked improvement. At that time I squired 400U Vitamin E, mixed with a pinch of Selenium, with a small amount of water. I dropper fed this to my chick for as long as she would tolerate it. When I went back to treat her again in an hour, her tic was barely noticeable. I treated her again before bed, around 8pm. At that time I noted no involuntary movement at all. I treated her anyway. This morning, same deal. She is back to baseline. I treated her anyway. She is still on the same mixture of vitamins I made yesterday. I'll treat her again this afternoon, and again before bed. Starting tomorrow, I will treat her once a day, for approximately a week. I will also continue on the vitamin / mineral / electrolyte mix until she is integrated with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom