Wry neck?

If the oil is helping then I would continue with it.
So there is definitely a crop issue. The crop bra hasn't been on a full 24 hours and her spasms have significantly reduced. Now I can put a hand on her and she can settle herself most of the time.

Could there be a foreign/fibrous body stuck in her crop that won't go down that would cause her to present like wry neck? She's a fiend for food so eating a bit of wood or thick piece of straw would not shock me. Her crop was never overly full, but maybe it would get doughy because fluid would move down to the gizzard and not solids.

I've seen that you can do impaction surgery, but don't want to resort to that if there's a less invasive option. Some other forums on here mentioned using a diuretic to digest and help it pass?

I would treat a sour and doughy crop first before I ever thought of surgery.
This is the methods I use when dealing with a crop problem. Most of the time there's an underlying condition that is causing the crop to slow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I just picked up a new tube of monistat for her and added some buttermilk and rice to her mash tonight (she was very interested in that).

I'll have to figure out a better crop bra based on the pattern in that link. The one I fashioned was temporary to test if it'd help, but it shifts too much when she moves. Glad I have fabric scraps all over my house.

Someone took a flying leap today - literally. She's feeling plucky and kept trying to jump out of her tote. I've been putting blankets over her so she'll actually stay put since she has no coordination to land properly and I'm afraid she's going to break/twist something.

She's walked a little, but mostly stood around which is an improvement on its own! I did some chicken PT and threw little bits of carrot for her to walk toward and it worked :yesss:

I'll have to pull out the dog kennel so she doesn't hurt herself overnight trying to escape.

I think we are successfully over the hump! :celebrate

She hasn't had issues with getting stuck with wry neck for 2 days now. We're preening, eating and drinking with no issues.

I might put her outside in a dog kennel with the others over the next few days as the weather is supposed to be warmer (high in the 40s) and see how she does during the day.

If there aren't issues of bullying over those days, would it be safe to let her reintegrate? The lowest temp for the next week or so is 20, I just want to make sure she'll put weight back on in the cold (the others have been getting a warm feed with buttermilk in the morning on especially cold days).

Wonderful news!:)
I'm glad she's getting better!

Getting her outside near the others is a great idea this way you can gauge how re-integration might go. Sometime reintroduction may be stressful and possibly cause a relapse, so watch for Wry Neck symptoms returning. I would continue with the vitamins during her transition period.
You may be able to leave her with the flock in those temps. I'm sure you will keep an eye on her. She may struggle with the temp change, so if she does, you may need to move her to a slighter warmer area each night then let her with the flock during the day. Hard to tell what will happen until you try!

Please keep me posted about how it turns out.

Well, she reintegrated herself (not that I am surprised!). I put her out in a dog kennel, but there were a few tines missing in the door. I didn't think much of it, if she got out then she wanted to.

At some point in the 2 hours I left her out there she decided she wanted to explore with the others. I'll see what she does when it's roosting time and will bring her in if needed, but she seems content.

I'll keep up on her vitamins in the morning and let her do what she's able until she's up and running 100%

Back
Top Bottom