Wry neck?

We're a week into treatment and I'm still cautiously hopeful.

Her waddles are a bit limp and her color changes throughout the day - pale in the morning, but gradually more red through the day as I get her to eat and drink.

The spasms are less and easier to snap her out of, so to speak. Her appetite is still there and I've got little bowls next to me if she perks up looking for something.

Today she tried to preen a little and I'm pretty sure I've been cursed out in my fair share of clucks for preventing her from being an ostrich in her sling, but we're still trying!
:hugs

New symptom - what would cause her eye to start swelling up on top of the wry neck? Could it just be irritation since that's the side she's been leaning on, or is it more of an indication of what we're dealing with?

It's a little watery, but no colored discharge. Definitely tender as she doesn't want me looking at it.

Attachments

• 262606953_1049967392231254_850318784699782506_n.jpg
    262606953_1049967392231254_850318784699782506_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 4
Im sorry i could not watch the video, it was asking for google drive permissions or something. I had experienced a hen eating something toxic before with these symptons. You have kept her alive very well.

Is her eyes both shut now?

Did she ingest maggots or some type of black mold, fungus, anything strange like that?

Symptoms are that of a minor case of botulism toxin for example, which will wear off as you see her gain more motor function, unless there is another release of the toxins still inside her. A week ago a charcoal flush would have been the treatment, but now the toxins maybe have passed.

This was my botulism patient for seven days with full paralysis. I did the same thing you did propping her head up, she would have suffocated if i didnt. For this photo i posed her because i was sure she would die, but she is fully recovered today.
Screenshot_20211202-204305_Gallery.jpg

Im sorry i could not watch the video, it was asking for google drive permissions or something. I had experienced a hen eating something toxic before with these symptons. You have kept her alive very well.

Is her eyes both shut now?

Did she ingest maggots or some type of black mold, fungus, anything strange like that?

Symptoms are that of a minor case of botulism toxin for example, which will wear off as you see her gain more motor function, unless there is another release of the toxins still inside her. A week ago a charcoal flush would have been the treatment, but now the toxins maybe have passed.

This was my botulism patient for seven days with full paralysis. I did the same thing you did propping her head up, she would have suffocated if i didnt. For this photo i posed her because i was sure she would die, but she is fully recovered today.
View attachment 2916839
Your hen looks nearly as flat as a pancake in that photo! That's quite a recovery.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ingested mold with the wet weather we've had here. I've tried to keep their food fresh and dishes cleaned out, but some of the pullets like to throw it on the ground and the others peck at it even after it's soggy. The run will likely get deep mulching or sand come spring to help mitigate future moisture issues.

She rests with her eyes closed, but will open them. Only one is sort of swollen, but that's the side she's best resting her face to the towels and rubbing most.

Tonight has been a bit more restless - stretching her legs higher so she ends up practically standing on her head. If she wasn't in a sling she would cartwheel for sure. She's chirped a few times today like she's mad her body won't cooperate. But the spasms don't last as long.

This is a video from just now - she has moments where she can hold herself up and looks around, but with her neck still bent. (The link should work, I realized the settings were wrong on the video)

Would charcoal do anything at this point, or is it just a waiting game to see if she improves?

Your hen looks nearly as flat as a pancake in that photo! That's quite a recovery.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ingested mold with the wet weather we've had here. I've tried to keep their food fresh and dishes cleaned out, but some of the pullets like to throw it on the ground and the others peck at it even after it's soggy. The run will likely get deep mulching or sand come spring to help mitigate future moisture issues.

She rests with her eyes closed, but will open them. Only one is sort of swollen, but that's the side she's best resting her face to the towels and rubbing most.

Tonight has been a bit more restless - stretching her legs higher so she ends up practically standing on her head. If she wasn't in a sling she would cartwheel for sure. She's chirped a few times today like she's mad her body won't cooperate. But the spasms don't last as long.

This is a video from just now - she has moments where she can hold herself up and looks around, but with her neck still bent. (The link should work, I realized the settings were wrong on the video)

Would charcoal do anything at this point, or is it just a waiting game to see if she improves?

I know it was crazy. She was fully aware of her surroundings, just her body was completely paralyzed, even her eyelids were shut because she could not open them, but was completely aware of everything. I cant imagine how terrifying she must have been, except her babies chirping kept her alive.

I will try to watch the video later its not working now for my internet.

I dont think charcoal would hurt, but also it probably isnt needed. Dont want to start seeing watery or clear diarreah. If she is eating even a little bit, that is sort of an advanced stage of recovery, if it is a toxin.

Youre pretty far into this treatment, whatever was in her crop you said is passed right? My botulism patient internals were working, her crop emptied like normal every day, and i was hand feeding by the third day.

@Banana01 I'm sure her crop has cleared completely at least once. It was slow initially and is currently a bit doughy, but emptying all the same.

We're still on a soupy food diet, but if it's warm she doesn't seem to mind

New symptom - what would cause her eye to start swelling up on top of the wry neck? Could it just be irritation since that's the side she's been leaning on, or is it more of an indication of what we're dealing with?

It's a little watery, but no colored discharge. Definitely tender as she doesn't want me looking at it.

Only one is sort of swollen, but that's the side she's best resting her face to the towels and rubbing most.
The eye issue may be from her resting and rubbing her face on the towels.
Does she have a small abrasion on her eye where it's rubbed? You can put a dab of Terramycin eye ointment or Original Neosporin on the eye to help with the irritation. Hopefully she will soon be able to hold her head up straighter and this issue will resolve.

The skin around the eye and earlobe seems stretched out. I haven't put anything on it as she'll just scratch at it and rub it off, but it does seem to change depending on how much she rubs.

I've had her in my lap quite a bit as that calms her down. She's been making a noise that I assume is purring (sounds vaguely like dry gurgling if that makes sense)? Just want to make sure it's not something to be concerned.

The purring - is her crop emptying?
Any fluid in the abdomen?
I would monitor the crop - it could be a crop issue.
Possible it's the beginning of something respiratory (pneumonia) since she's been inactive.
Sometimes fluid (Ascites) can cause gurgling too.

The purring - is her crop emptying?
Any fluid in the abdomen?
I would monitor the crop - it could be a crop issue.
Possible it's the beginning of something respiratory (pneumonia) since she's been inactive.
Sometimes fluid (Ascites) can cause gurgling too.
I don't feel fluid other than her crop, but she does shake her head sometimes when I massage it. I think she'll get a crop bra here shortly

She's only been getting ground feed as mush but her crop still gets a bit doughy some days. It clears up with coconut oil quickly each time. Should I just keep putting a bit of the oil in her food until she can keep her head up?

Back
Top Bottom