Wry neck???

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
She will take a drink then her head goes way back…..but not every time…she’s about two weeks old. She’s getting around normal and doesn’t do this all the time. I started vit e 40iu (ish) but problem is I just started to treat for cocci (was in my flock this summer so I just got to treat and get through this) so there will be. Vit b1 deficiency for awhile at least 10 days 5 days treatment then a few days of preventative. Do you think wry neck? Will the corid just make things worse or should I just go straight to the antibiotics skip corid? I cought it early only one bird seems to have it.

This picture is of her drinking water it looks so extreme

It’s also my ameraucana :(!!!

I have hatched so many birds with some sort of issue this year I swear after this I’m a professional!

Attachments

• 9AA42250-F390-4C8C-A129-F45D403EED49.png
    9AA42250-F390-4C8C-A129-F45D403EED49.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
She will take a drink then her head goes way back…..but not every time…she’s about two weeks old. She’s getting around normal and doesn’t do this all the time. I started vit e 40iu (ish) but problem is I just started to treat for cocci (was in my flock this summer so I just got to treat and get through this) so there will be. Vit b1 deficiency for awhile at least 10 days 5 days treatment then a few days of preventative. Do you think wry neck? Will the corid just make things worse or should I just go straight to the antibiotics skip corid? I cought it early only one bird seems to have it.
She only does this when drinking?
Some chicks rare back when drinking so it's hard to tell if it's normal for her or not, usually they grow out of the behavior.

Corid will not cause a Vitamin B1 deficiency if given correctly and for the correct amount of time. Their feed has sufficient daily amounts of B1 in it already. The reason for the recommendations you see not to give EXTRA B1 (this means supplemental/extra) during the course of treatment with Corid is that "excessive" amounts of B1 can cancel the action of Corid - excessive has not been defined.

If you are going to treat for Wry Neck and give the Corid, then just give her 400IU Vitamin E (not 40) and some hard boiled egg yolk daily along with her normal feed.

I see no need for antibiotics at this point do you? What type of infection would you be treating?

I do somewhat understand prophylactically treating for Coccidiosis, some people do, but chicks still need exposure to poop and soil so they can build resistance to the Coccidia that is found in their environment.

She only does this when drinking?
Some chicks rare back when drinking so it's hard to tell if it's normal for her or not, usually they grow out of the behavior.

Corid will not cause a Vitamin B1 deficiency if given correctly and for the correct amount of time. Their feed has sufficient daily amounts of B1 in it already. The reason for the recommendations you see not to give EXTRA B1 (this means supplemental/extra) during the course of treatment with Corid is that "excessive" amounts of B1 can cancel the action of Corid - excessive has not been defined.

If you are going to treat for Wry Neck and give the Corid, then just give her 400IU Vitamin E (not 40) and some hard boiled egg yolk daily along with her normal feed.

I see no need for antibiotics at this point do you? What type of infection would you be treating?

I do somewhat understand prophylactically treating for Coccidiosis, some people do, but chicks still need exposure to poop and soil so they can build resistance to the Coccidia that is found in their environment.
I saw blood in a chicks stool yesterday so I know it’s cocci it ran rapid through each flock I raised this year

And no I do not see a need for antibiotics, I was just worried about the vit b1 deficiency with the corrid and if in fact this is vit deficiency.

I have a feeling this is the rooster I have been waiting for so I don’t want anything to happen to him…

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom