Wry neck?

Billie371

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
This little silkie is about 14 weeks old. I found her shaking her head down on the ground on Friday. So I moved it back to the brooder. I also put another chick in there with her so she isn't all alone. I started giving her selenium and vitamin E. After I give her the medicine she will perk her head back up and be walking around eating and drinking. When I go back out to check on it her head is back down shaking. I am giving it a pea size amount of selenium and popping a vitamin E 180mg gel pill open and giving it the whole thing 2 times a day. Should I be giving it more? Or something else on top of that? It has been about 5 days. I definitely think she is doing better than she originally was but in between medicine she gets bad again.

Attachments

• IMG20240111101112.jpg
    IMG20240111101112.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG20240111101344.jpg
    IMG20240111101344.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20240111101129.jpg
    IMG20240111101129.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20240111101115.jpg
    IMG20240111101115.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 7
This happened to my girl too. Kept her inside and gave her b complex and selenium & vitamin E (from tractor supply for goats) she got better in about a month! I think the b complex helps more if it is neurological

This happened to my girl too. Kept her inside and gave her b complex and selenium & vitamin E (from tractor supply for goats) she got better in about a month! I think the b complex helps more if it is neurological
"Wry Neck", "Crookneck", etc., is a Neurological symptom. Common causes are disease like Marek's, head/neck trauma, vitamin/nutritional deficiency and/or sometimes genetics.
Silkies seem to be more prone to Neurological symptoms and may need to be offered supportive vitamin therapy from time to time.

Best to give individual dosing, go to Walmart, CVS, etc. and buy a bottle of E and B-Complex. Goat Gel if given to equal enough E would also be giving toxic levels over time of Selenium.
Give 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
A bit of egg is sufficient for the Selenium.

"Wry Neck", "Crookneck", etc., is a Neurological symptom. Common causes are disease like Marek's, head/neck trauma, vitamin/nutritional deficiency and/or sometimes genetics.
Silkies seem to be more prone to Neurological symptoms and may need to be offered supportive vitamin therapy from time to time.

Best to give individual dosing, go to Walmart, CVS, etc. and buy a bottle of E and B-Complex. Goat Gel if given to equal enough E would also be giving toxic levels over time of Selenium.
Okay thank you so much I appreciate it

Do I only give her the vitamin E and B complex once a day?

Hi! Do you remember the amount you gave your baby? I have a 2 week old and read to give between a pinpoint amount and pea sized. I don't want to give them too much :/

Back
Top Bottom