Wry Neck!??????

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
So one of my chickens born januray has what looks like wry neck but has pure white unformed liguidy poop. I am wondering if its not wry neck and something else causing what looks like wry neck??

I have treated it with duramycin all today and he has seemed to perk up he can stand and reach slowly down to eat mushed up feed. ( I have given it wet chick starter thinking since its got a bunch of vitamins in it, it might be better then what the rest eat which is a mixfrom the feed store)

I have been going down and and checking on him every 2 hours and making sure he's getting a bit of water/antibotic in his system... he's in our barn in our room where we have a office on hay in a water tank by himself.

I am unsure what this could be! None of the rest of the 23 chickens have shown signs of being ill this one has for a week now just laying around but would get up run away when you came to close etc.

If it is wry neck anything I could feed him till I can get to the store for vitamin/electrolytes tomorrow?????

His neck is surely bent and swollen he's fighting for sure and seems to be responding to the duramycin. So I am going to keep that up for a week and add vitamin capsules? If I can find them!

Last question could this be genetic this is our only chick we allowed hatch from our mixed flock this year?

Thanks for any advice!

Hope that your chicken is better.

Here is a BYC post about wry neck. There may be others of interest to you if you type wry neck in the search bar at the top of the page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/662860/wry-neck

I just read this post and thought that it could be something for you to consider:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/670408/gastro-intestinal-virus#post_9050210

I am not familiar at all with wry neck, but my dh said that his grandmother's chickens got it from eating something spoiled that contained maggots. I doubt that it was the maggots but maybe some bacteria on the spoiled stuff his granny's chickens ate.

Last edited:
Thanks! I am going to read this. He is doing 100% better today. No more neck twisting at all. His neck is still bent funny but he can now stand and not just fall over...He had a solid poop. I gave him some hard boiled eggs yesterday he ate those up nicely. He still seems a little uncoordinated but doing better on one day of the antibotic. So praying he will pull through!
fl.gif

Still going to get some viatimins and electrolytes...

Back
Top Bottom