1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wry neck

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AbagailMae, Sep 20, 2013.

1. AbagailMae

AbagailMae New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    I have not had time to do much research on this topic but realized today that both my rabbit and a duck have wry neck. Now we have had these animals for a while but this past summer got 4 geese and we house them all together. My question is do the geese have something that can cause this issue in other animals or is it possible they were mean and caused a brain injury that caused this? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think I would house them all together. Geese can be bullies and being quite large can cause damage intentionally or by accident. Wry neck usually is a deficiency of some kind [vitamin] So adding some good quality poultry vitamins to the ducks water and some vitamins for the rabbit may help. Geese are hardy critters as are ducks and have to be housed in really poor conditions to get sick, if given adequate room to forage, good quality feed and water to bath in they are healthy. So I doubt your geese gave a disease to the duck and rabbit. Poultry Nutri drench or save a chick would be good to offer the duck.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  3. AbagailMae

AbagailMae New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. We are realizing it probably wasn't our most wise choice to house them together. Our duck died and we are going to have the rabbit put down (he is a pet) he can not clean himself and it would be lots of work to try to clean him. We did realize that our waterfowl must be deficent so we are going to be adding more protein and vitamins. They have unfortunately been left inside for a week because of some work issues. Thanks again!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So very sorry.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by