Wry tail, cure?

LostBoi73

Songster
Jul 2, 2021
United Kingdom
I bought a young cock with 3 hens for him . 2 around an equal age and 1 a bit older. Unfortunatly after a day or 2 i noticed he had wry tail , well i didnt know what it was but my aunt told me when i as,ed her about it. Other than that he is very healthy! I dont know if he came with the issue as i didnt reall know what i was looking for but i suspect it is either from an injury or more likely the stress of being moved and may be me as for the first few weeks he was a bit unsure and jealous of me especially when i was feeding the girls and maybe thought of me as a huge rival, he is properly my mate no but his condition has not elevated. And maybe got worse , iv even wondered if some sort of tumor? Dose anyone know of any cure as he would be a stunner! And absoluty show winner if not for his wry tail. It also unbalences him at time so just for his sake id like to help him out. I know its not like wry neck and caused by a vitamin deficiency

Since these birds are new to you, you don't know how they've been handled or cared for.
I'd examine them closely for ticks, mites & other parasites, and offering treatment as needed, plus I'd prophylactically treat them all for cocci & worms as most cannot be seen with the naked eye. If you have a vet willing to do a fecal float test for worm testing, so much the better. Eliminating any parasitic overloads that they may be experiencing earlier rather than later will go a long way in ensuring the health of your new flock.

Feed them a quality, balanced feed, with zero low-protein treats. Again, you don't know what they've been eating so your goal with this is to ensure that they're getting a proper diet, and because a feather issue is in question, you don't want to reduce their dietary intake of protein with 'treats'. Feathers need a lot of protein to (re)grow.

Wry tail can be genetic, caused by injury or disease, or even dietary insufficiency. If, say that his supporting tail feathers have been pulled, or that his diet was protein-poor as examples... this could present as 'wry tail'... so you're just going to need a wait and see approach.

Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Since these birds are new to you, you don't know how they've been handled or cared for.
I'd examine them closely for ticks, mites & other parasites, and offering treatment as needed, plus I'd prophylactically treat them all for cocci & worms as most cannot be seen with the naked eye. If you have a vet willing to do a fecal float test for worm testing, so much the better. Eliminating any parasitic overloads that they may be experiencing earlier rather than later will go a long way in ensuring the health of your new flock.

Feed them a quality, balanced feed, with zero low-protein treats. Again, you don't know what they've been eating so your goal with this is to ensure that they're getting a proper diet, and because a feather issue is in question, you don't want to reduce their dietary intake of protein with 'treats'. Feathers need a lot of protein to (re)grow.

Wry tail can be genetic, caused by injury or disease, or even dietary insufficiency. If, say that his supporting tail feathers have been pulled, or that his diet was protein-poor as examples... this could present as 'wry tail'... so you're just going to need a wait and see approach.

Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.
Thankyou we have hwd them now for about 6 weeks. We have checked for parasites but not a float test. The vets around here wouldnt do it. Every other way he has come on leeps and bounds. Id say he has doubled in size and maturity since he has been with me, hes my little buddy now and regardless he will be well l9oked after for the rest of his life. I got him from a very reputable breeder and his parents and aunts swepped the bord at the last show getting best in breed both male and female first and second places and then again both first and second for male and female rare breed. I was lucky she sold to me as she dosnt normaly sell

It will not harm your flock to treat them for both cocci and worms.
Most internal parasites are invisible to the naked eye. Both of these medical treatments tend to be dirt cheap and easy to administer provided that you put the medications in all water sources that are available to them. Both cocci treatment and internal parasite treatment can be administered at the same time.
For the low cost, it's worth treating your new flock now, and again in a half-year. I live in a tropical climate, lots of rain eight months of the year. I prophylactically (whether they need it or not) treat my incubated and grown at home flock for cocci and worms annually, and am always certain to offer the treatment for the prescribed duration each year so that those nasty worms don't develop resistance to the medication (cocci do not develop a resistance to the medicine as it acts in a different way than anti-parasitic remedies).

It will not harm your flock to treat them for both cocci and worms.
Most internal parasites are invisible to the naked eye. Both of these medical treatments tend to be dirt cheap and easy to administer provided that you put the medications in all water sources that are available to them. Both cocci treatment and internal parasite treatment can be administered at the same time.
For the low cost, it's worth treating your new flock now, and again in a half-year. I live in a tropical climate, lots of rain eight months of the year. I prophylactically (whether they need it or not) treat my incubated and grown at home flock for cocci and worms annually, and am always certain to offer the treatment for the prescribed duration each year so that those nasty worms don't develop resistance to the medication (cocci do not develop a resistance to the medicine as it acts in a different way than anti-parasitic remedies).
Pls dont think im ignoring your reply. I am just researching

Corid is a common brand name for the cocci medication.
There are various types of worms that chickens are prone to: roundworms, cecal worms, gape worms, hair worms aka capillary worms, eye worms, tape worms, protozoa, etc.
Flubendazole, Fenbendazole, Ivermectin, Wazine, Avitrol are some of the common types of wormers, each for a certain type of worm, but many are broad spectrum (covers more than one type of worm). Not knowing what is available in your area, speak with your feed store or vet to determine availability.

Corid is a common brand name for the cocci medication.
There are various types of worms that chickens are prone to: roundworms, cecal worms, gape worms, hair worms aka capillary worms, eye worms, tape worms, protozoa, etc.
Flubendazole, Fenbendazole, Ivermectin, Wazine, Avitrol are some of the common types of wormers, each for a certain type of worm, but many are broad spectrum (covers more than one type of worm). Not knowing what is available in your area, speak with your feed store or vet to determine availability.
I bought harkers coxoid and panacure aquasol

That ought to knock four possible bad-guys out: cocci from the harkers coxoid & roundworms, protozoa, hair worms aka capillaria worms from the panacure aquasol. Well done!

Albendazole aka Valbazen, Febendazole aka Safe-Guard, Praziquantel aka Equimax would cover cecal worms & tape worms.

With the addition of one of the above mentioned medications, you'd be 'loaded for bear' when it comes to de-worming your flock.

I bought a young cock with 3 hens for him . 2 around an equal age and 1 a bit older. Unfortunatly after a day or 2 i noticed he had wry tail , well i didnt know what it was but my aunt told me when i as,ed her about it. Other than that he is very healthy! I dont know if he came with the issue as i didnt reall know what i was looking for but i suspect it is either from an injury or more likely the stress of being moved and may be me as for the first few weeks he was a bit unsure and jealous of me especially when i was feeding the girls and maybe thought of me as a huge rival, he is properly my mate no but his condition has not elevated. And maybe got worse , iv even wondered if some sort of tumor? Dose anyone know of any cure as he would be a stunner! And absoluty show winner if not for his wry tail. It also unbalences him at time so just for his sake id like to help him out. I know its not like wry neck and caused by a vitamin deficiency
Can you post some photos of him?
How old is he?

Back
Top Bottom