Wry tail?

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
She didn't have a crooked tail until right at the point of lay. Is it most likely wry tail? Or possibly something else?

Attachments

• 20211022_124130.jpg
    20211022_124130.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 38
I asked pretty much the same question some months ago but my chicks were only 11 weeks at the time (and the wry tail appeared to develop very suddenly). I didn't get a lot of response but @HennyPenny44 did report the same sudden onset in a 13-week-old cockerel.

I can say that my chick with the wry tail, an easter egger, still looks much the same (if a little larger as she has grown up), but is healthy and actually the first of my 6 to lay.

I was given a very healthy 5 month old black copper marans cockerel for breeding from a breeder friend a few years ago. Around 6-7 months old he suddenly showed wry tail symptoms. I kept him until he was a year old, and then rehomed him, because I didn’t want to breed him with possible heredity issues. He was completely normal, bred, and the leader of the flock

Just because I never posted the pictures I took on my original thread, here is my easter egger Dino in mid-July, when I first noticed the tail's crook. She looks very similar (but larger, at 7 months old) now.

I can say much the same about the Golden Comets she's with (that is, they look much the same now, but somewhat larger with nice big combs), but wow, that silver-laced Wyandotte has changed with age as her pattern developed!

Attachments

• Dino's Wry Tail Resized.jpg
    Dino's Wry Tail Resized.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 9
I don’t think wry tail is usually genetic (please correct me if I’m wrong). I got a Mystic Onyx hen this spring and she was born with wry tail. I found it was caused by some sort of vitamin deficiency at birth but can be fixed with a supplement if caught early. It’s not harmful though unless it was caused by an injury. My birds name is Ox and her life has had no negative affect from it!😁
5B3320F1-B6DF-4390-AF40-AB747B34AC28.jpeg

I recently bought Araucana chickens in lavender color (with tails) and I managed to raise 3 hens and a rooster. All four grew nicely and I had no problems with them! Yesterday I noticed that the rooster has a wry tail - although it was normal until now !
I don't think it's genetically inherited, because he only recently got wry tail.
I didn't notice any injury on him.
I don't think they suffer from a lack of nutrients, because I feed them quality food and they are released (free range breeding).
Does it make sense to treat him with tail immobilization or should I leave him like that?

Back
Top Bottom