Wrys neck from injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Li., Oct 18, 2018.

1. Sweetpotatomama

Sweetpotatomama In the Brooder

Oct 19, 2018
    Oregon, US
    Btw, I'm no expert as this is my first real duck injury but I just wanted to give you a picture since you asked if it was in her best interest to try. :)

2. Li.

Li. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2018
    Tip of the mitt MI
    There is a video on one of those utube-like sites showing a hen with Wry’s........it could have been my girl. We are on day 5 now. If I can’t rehab her in a month.....game over as we are snowbirds ourselves. It’s hard enough getting someone to look after them just for food, water and heat, let alone tending to a handicapped bird. Man, this just sucks! And regards to the splint....I’ve been considering that myself. Anyone else out there.

3. Li.

Li. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2018
    Tip of the mitt MI
    I forgot to mention that she can stand but prefers not to. And walking as of today....no. The wings seem okay. No complaints from her when I stretch them out. The neck draws hard to her left.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully, she will get better with some time, and with the vitamins. She obviously has some sort of brain or neck injury. Good luck, and keep us up to date on how she gets along.

5. Li.

Li. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2018
    Tip of the mitt MI
    I’m not very hopeful but she’s attempting to eat the gruel I came up with. Whats the vit E targeted for? Just curious.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The vitamin E is to treat wry neck symptoms. Since hers is probably caused by head injury, it may or may not help. Vitamin E is found in sunflower seeds, chopped slmonds, salmon, shrimp, spinach and other dark greens, and broccoli.

7. Li.

Li. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2018
    Tip of the mitt MI
    No E in tuna.?

8. Li.

Li. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2018
    Tip of the mitt MI
    Ok...poo is changed from beige and white to lime green and white. Is there any significant reason for this?

9. Li.

Li. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2018
    Tip of the mitt MI
    My hen ate on her own today. Still can’t walk right but her neck is really improved. Thank you all for the info and advice. Yesterday was a warmer and sunny day, so I set her out with the rest for about an hour and watched. No one picked on her. I swear they were soothing her and gathered together around her. Even the Guineans left her alone.

10. Li.

Li. In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2018
    Tip of the mitt MI
    Update. It took two weeks for the wry neck to resolve itself. Still gimpy but has improved enough to get around and can stand. Still getting same feeding with supplements. She’s been eating on her own for a while now. Still keep the light on. She is able to come down the ramp from the raised coop but needs to be put in at night or if I feel she’s just stressing from guienea harresment. I’m tickled pink on her recovery tho. AND FOR THE BIG BONUS.....she laid her first egg. She truly is a warrior. So don’t despair over wry’s neck. Patience, love, proper nourishment, water, warmth, time. I think you get my drift. Thanks ,again, for ALL the help.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: