WTB: cheap egg candler?

Ashleyy_x3

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Maine
i know i know. i could buy a cool lite egg candler for like 25 bucks including shipping.. but im cheap! haha anyone willing to sell me an egg candler for like 10-15 bucks? or less
big_smile.png
haha pleeeease, im dying to know how my eggies are doing. im only on day 3 but still... i want to know by day 7 or 10.. considering they were shipped a long long ways and i wanna know if any are bad.. dont want them to blow up! yuck!

Just get a good LED flashlight from the hardware store.
wink.png
Cover the end with black fabric (fleece is good) and cut a small hole in the center of the cloth to focus the light... that's what I use on all my eggs.
smile.png

fl.gif
Hope your eggies hatch!!!

thats a good idea! thanks
smile.png
haha. i hope i get at least a couple of your beautiful white silkies to hatch!

I got mine for free, and it's AWESOME.

It's an old slide projector. Speckledhen has several, and most folks who use them LOVE them, and they're better than a flashlight - WAY better.

You can get one at Goodwill or Salvation Army on the cheap, or if you work, ask around at work - that's what I did, and two people had them laying around in their basements, collecting dust.

All I did to make it usable as an egg candler is made a wood rack to put it in so it would be facing up toward the ceiling; then, I just put a dark washrag with a small, cut out oval over the neck of the part the light comes out of. This blocks out the light from the sides and makes a soft spot for your egg to rest on as you're candling.

i have a maglite with a toilet paper roll fit around the end to make a tunnel. works great. just candled marans with it.

Last edited:
HOMEMADE candler, 101.

Bright light, foil, dark room.

I used my brooder light, wrapped aluminum foil around it to make a tube...slice an "x" where I wanted to set the eggs to candle (x allows for multiple sizes)

and voila! cheap cheap cheep!!

Back
Top Bottom