WTB: Hatching Eggs...

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
Looking for friendly, winter hardy breeds...please let me know what you have to sell and the price including shipping.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have fertile buff orpington eggs. $25 includes Priority s/h. I can send some out today if you're interested. Let me know. Thanks.

Jody

Are you wanting mixed or pure. I have hatching eggs from a mixed pen of RIRxNHR and 1 BO hen. I have pure in Barred Rocks.

Oh I almost forgot I have EE's and button quail eggs too!!

EE's and mixed $20 includes shipping
BR's $25 includes shipping.

Oh no silkies are not good in the winter and neither are frizzles. I lost 2 silkies and 3 frizzles last winter.

Chantelcers, Wyandottes, Delawares, Dominique, Jersey Giant, Javas, hamburgs, cornish, cochins, buckeyes, brahmas, australorps, Ameracaunas, langshan, modern game, turkens, old english game, orpingtons, Plymouth rocks, rosecombs, sumatras, sussex, and welsummers are very cold hardy. There was more on the list but I did not put all of them. Here is a link to the Breed chart. It has lots of interesting info on it. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I had great results with RIR, EE/Ameracauns, and brahmas last winter, they laid all through the winter! I did not have an issue with frost bite on the hens, I did have a few of my roosters get nipped. This year I will use vaseline to keep them form getting bit. Good luck to you.

I have mixed breed eggs available right now for cheap
wink.png
$10 a dozen that's shipped. I have all kinds of different breeds, you can read what all I have in my signature! Let me know if you want some.
big_smile.png

I was reading about silkies the other day and it said that they are very cold talarent. They still have their down.
Chris

Here is what it says, because of fancy feathering, not suited for foul weather I am also going off of personal experience. I am not trying to get snippy, but they do not have good heat holding feathers. I know people (here in Ohio) who will take their silkies in the basement in the winter or put them in a heated barn. My still laid fair in the winter but the are easily chilled. Like I said I lost 2 last winter. They just can't keep warm.

Harley's girl :

Here is what it says, because of fancy feathering, not suited for foul weather I am also going off of personal experience. I am not trying to get snippy, but they do not have good heat holding feathers. I know people (here in Ohio) who will take their silkies in the basement in the winter or put them in a heated barn. My still laid fair in the winter but the are easily chilled. Like I said I lost 2 last winter. They just can't keep warm.

I know your not getting snippy. I wasn't either I was saying what I had read. I read that they didn't do good in foul weather but it said that was because of the feathers on their feet and the mud when it rained a lot.
Who knows. That is the reason my first post said that I heard they were ok. I don't live where it gets real cold so I just go by what I read.
Chris​

This is the web site I got my info on. See how it say hardy in heat and cold but not suited for foul weather. That is rain they are talking about here.
http://www.fowlvisions.com/?p=197

Here are a few more features about the Silkies:

A walnut comb resembling a walnut half, very fleshy, on the bridge of the beak. Hens have them but are much smaller than a rooster.
Non-bearded silkies have large wattles where a bearded silkie (hen and roo) have small wattles, barely noticeable.
Black skin and five toes (most other breeds have four).
Most broody breed
Lays small eggs with a light tint
Hardy in heat and cold but not suited for foul weather due to feathering
Very docile and friendly
Average lifespan of 8 to 9 years
Weighing in at 2.2 lbs. it is probably the most popular bantam breed
The Silkies come in a variety of colorings as you can see by the many pictures I posted. These chickens tend to be used for showing alot. I see them frequently at our local fair.

One thing that puzzles me is how these chickens can see with all the feathers/hair around their eyes. My friend, Farmerchick Paula, wrote a post on her blog, The Fraker Farm, about one of her chickens and how she kept bumping into things so she gave it a new hairdo…

Back
Top Bottom