Wtf is this???

akostka1988

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Alton, ME
Uh this just became noticeable I guess? Didn’t notice it until a few minutes ago. It’s firm but squishy. I already lost one keet I’m not keen on the fact that this looks like a tumor. Any ideas/advise?

Attachments

• 28B35047-B74D-44A2-B0E4-FB291EED366C.jpeg
    28B35047-B74D-44A2-B0E4-FB291EED366C.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 48
Uh this just became noticeable I guess? Didn’t notice it until a few minutes ago. It’s firm but squishy. I already lost one keet I’m not keen on the fact that this looks like a tumor. Any ideas/advise?
It looks like its crop is full. It is possible that it is a little piggy or it may have ingested something that is not moving along like it should be. Check it again in the morning to see if it has decreased in size.

Sorry but I’m not seeing what you’re seeing! Where is the problem area on the keet?

I gently prodded it and it felt mushy but firm. I hope you are right because I’ve already lost a runt. 😞 I don’t think I’ll be going back to Tractor Supply for birds anymore. This is my biggest keet so I figured that’s the one I didn’t have to worry about but of course they love to prove you wrong 🙄 lol
Yes, crop seems likely. Do they have a dark period or lights on all the time? Is the keet eating/drinking/pooping? Wet crumble (or crumble followed by drinking lots of water) can feel doughy.... are they on bedding?

They have natural lighting I use one of those heating platforms instead of a lamp. The keet is doing normal eating/drinking/pooping from what I’ve seen. They get game starter which is a broken up pellet form, chick grit, electrolyte water, and regular water. And they are on wood shaving bedding.
If you could feel the keet’s crop first thing when the lights come on, you’ll know if it’s emptying properly. After a night of darkness, the crop should feel empty. Must be at their first light as keets will start eating and drinking as soon as they wake.

If you could feel the keet’s crop first thing when the lights come on, you’ll know if it’s emptying properly. After a night of darkness, the crop should feel empty. Must be at their first light as keets will start eating and drinking as soon as they wake.
I have 3 keets and 6 chicks they go thru and almost the entire small feeder and waterer daily and I usually refill it all in the morning (around 9am) am I providing too much? I did slack yesterday and didn’t do it all until later in the day so maybe that set off some sort of panic hoarding situation? I can wake up early tomorrow and check in for sure.

Back
Top Bottom