Wtf!!

Blubie2

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2021
I have 4 chickens (not free range but have a nice sized run) and 2 ducks (free range) I woke up this morning and as always yelled babiessss!!! And baby girl came out covered in blood and her bill was chewed (like a dog does a bone) frantically look for Gypsy (her sister) and find her dead with no face (no bill no eyes) 😢🥺😩 baby girl has no other injuries except bleeding on her wings (I think it was self harm trying to get away) my whole yard looks like a crime scene, blood everywhere!!! What kind of animal only eats a face??!? Im so confused!!! Our yard is gated with a 5 foot fence (if that matters) my first instinct is fox…. But it’s weird.

I have 4 chickens (not free range but have a nice sized run) and 2 ducks (free range) I woke up this morning and as always yelled babiessss!!! And baby girl came out covered in blood and her bill was chewed (like a dog does a bone) frantically look for Gypsy (her sister) and find her dead with no face (no bill no eyes) 😢🥺😩 baby girl has no other injuries except bleeding on her wings (I think it was self harm trying to get away) my whole yard looks like a crime scene, blood everywhere!!! What kind of animal only eats a face??!? Im so confused!!! Our yard is gated with a 5 foot fence (if that matters) my first instinct is fox…. But it’s weird.
Oh gosh! That's horrific! I am so so sorry...

My guess is a raccoon. They often behead birds.

I know nothing about what other predators you might have. We are in the woods out here in CA, so I've got pretty much every North American predator you can think of outside of grizzly bears. If I saw that type of damage, I'd think raccoon, dog, or something from the weasel family.

How is your girl with the hurt bill?

I hate that everything wants to eat our babies....

I know nothing about what other predators you might have. We are in the woods out here in CA, so I've got pretty much every North American predator you can think of outside of grizzly bears. If I saw that type of damage, I'd think raccoon, dog, or something from the weasel family.

How is your girl with the hurt bill?

I hate that everything wants to eat our babies....
We have her inside cleaned her up. She is in shock she doesn’t respond to us saying her name but she has been drinking and she ate (not much but some) she finally laid down this afternoon and isn’t shaking anymore. Her bleeding stoped around noon. But she seems to be doing better.
Just heart broken that I didn’t hear them yelling for help! my neighbor texted me saying my ducks were going crazy but I didn’t hear the text either! 😢

Back
Top Bottom