WV cannot have a chicken show.

Serama Man

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Beverly, WV
ATTENTION: PLEASE VISIT UR FACEBOOK PAGE AND BECOME A FAN!! THANKS! (HERE is a link. http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=1&q=chicken&o=65&sid=100000662120490.2284240540..1&s=20#!/pages/If-you-want-a-chicken-show-in-WV-look-here/105919776111053?ref=nf)
Hi! This page is designed to knock down the "Iron Curtain" surrounding West Virgina fairs, chicken shows, etc. You see, the state code of West Virginia states in Chapter 19, Arcticle 9 that, ""Out of state birds must have a negative Avian Influenza test within 10 days of import/exhibition". This has to be done at a cost of Twenty-two dollars, and is VERY cost prohibitive to ever exhibiting at a fair, etc. That HAS been. what WILL be is up to us, and to you. Print out this letter, sign your name, and send it to either Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito, Senator Byrd, Or Senator Rockefeller. TOGETHER, we can bring this law to a stop. LETS GO!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings, Senator Byrd. My name is _______, and I would like to invite your attention to
Chapter 19, Arcticle 9 of the state code of West Virginia, In which it states that "Out of state birds must have a negative Avian Influenza test within 10 days of import/exhibition".

Now, it may sound rather strange to you, but there are many people in WV and the surrounding states that would be interested in having a Poultry show in WV, and this law is very cost prohibitive, as the testing fee is twenty - two dollars. I realize that this law was enacted to protect commercial poultry farmers (Perdue, etc), but the act of having a chicken show in WV would in no way cause any potential threat to commercial growers. We take pride in our birds, and would not willfully bring a sick bird to a show, plus, those companies do not show, thus, their birds are not exposed.

This Letter is a request that you please repeal this law, as this would allow us to instate a chicken show. There would be several benefits to the State of West Virginia, such as Increased tourism, etc.
Again, I would really appreciate it if you would give this some consideration.
Thanks!

Greetings, Senator Rockefeller. My name is _______, and I would like to invite your attention to
Chapter 19, Arcticle 9 of the state code of West Virginia, In which it states that "Out of state birds must have a negative Avian Influenza test within 10 days of import/exhibition".

Now, it may sound rather strange to you, but there are many people in WV and the surrounding states that would be interested in having a Poultry show in WV, and this law is very cost prohibitive, as the testing fee is twenty - two dollars. I realize that this law was enacted to protect commercial poultry farmers (Perdue, etc), but the act of having a chicken show in WV would in no way cause any potential threat to commercial growers. We take pride in our birds, and would not willfully bring a sick bird to a show, plus, those companies do not show, thus, their birds are not exposed.

This Letter is a request that you please repeal this law, as this would allow us to instate a chicken show. There would be several benefits to the State of West Virginia, such as Increased tourism, etc.
Thanks!
_______

Greetings, Congresswoman Capito. My name is _______, and I would like to invite your attention to

Thanks!
_______

The addresses are:

Senator Jay Rockefeller
531 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Shelley Moore Capito
4815 MacCorkle Ave., SE
Charleston, WV 25304

Senator Byrd
300 Virginia Street East, Suite 2630
Charleston, WV 25301
----------------------------------------------

Last edited:
As you posted, it does not sound like there is an issue with in-state birds. Please correct me if I misunderstood you. Also, many states require testing of one sort or another. You might also see if less expensive testing is available.

To my knowledge Virginia and West Virginia require all eggs, chicks and started birds entering the State to be MS & MG clean also..........................

Quote:
THATS JUST IT....... I know alot of people would come to WV for one.

Realize that the requirement is there for a reason--whether that reason is actually valid is a point to be addressed, as is whether the cost of testing is accurate--for example, where did you get your pricing? Chances are that testing a flock is not going to cost $22 per I would suggest finding a poultry club in your state and working together, not trying to takew this on by yourself. Also, work with your state vet to find a solution that meets their need to keep unhealthy birds out of the state and your desire to hold poultry shows in your state.

I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. I show poultry. As there are no shows presently held in the state of WV...I show in PA, MD, and VA. Birds must test AI clean within a 10 day window of transporting them and some states require permission to enter their state with birds.

I have never had any problems with the testing or the paperwork. The gentlemen who come to my place for NPIP are also the ones who come over and do the AI testing. Jewel Plumbley, DVM. has also been very helpful. I am considering getting a few of my poultry friends together and see what I need to do for a show next year. I am not certain where you are going with this thread...but I will be watching to see if I can offer advice, etc.

Back
Top Bottom