WV MD PA VA Chickenstock TSC Sat. April 23,2011

Personally, I'd rather have all three very local (Wv) because

1. I don't want to travel far with my 5 kids and everything else. As in not farther than 20 min or so.
2. I don't plan on getting NPIP unless we need to. I have healthy birds, practice biosecurity, and test when needed.
3 I am certain we would lose local people.
4. I think staying at a commercial place/fairground is important. Mostly for legal reasons- are you prepared as far as insurance goes? Just making sure everyone is also prepared in case something goes wrong.

I certainly think those chicken swaps sounds like fun! I would go to buy, but not to set up/ect. I personally would like to stay in the panhandle.

If it helps, I would be happy to organize the next chickenstock at Gowers feed in June/July anf TSC in the fall. Perhaps the swaps on private property can be in addition to
smile.png
!

Quickly, I wanted to add that the organizers have always done a VERY nice job with the stocks! I'm not trying to step on toes, just offering to help if you guys want to concentrate on doing swaps!! We are very thankful for everything you do!!!

As far as insurance goes, it's a one day policy.

My farm is 15 min from TSC
lol.png
seriously, right down rt. 45 then hop over the bridge from Shepherdstown and you're there. As far as loss, we may lose you and a few others who think Maryland is the other side of the moon but, most of our customers are traveling good distances from Baltimore and No. VA. and points east from Martinsburg. Many don't come because they think WV is on the other side of the moon. I cannot say how many people buy birds and comment how they didn't realize Martinsburg was as close as it was while traveling from that direction... Still many don't come because it is a bit too far. I know. I get the emails... "Hi Erin, we'd love to come to Chickenstock but, it is so far. Do you know anyone who has *insert breed* in Maryland or Virgina?" Personally, m thinking of how many more folks we would gain. Also, I think the $20 hen buyers aren't local at all
lol.png

My blog has gotten over 6,000 hits this year! wherever, we post, they'll go
wink.png

Whatever you all want to do.. I will keep the blog updated and support you. just thought something bigger could be fun.

Last edited:
Erin,

I'm certainly not saying not to do a chickenswap!! I think your swap could be done in addition to. Remember when we went from 2 stocks to 3? I don't think throwing in another swap is going to keep people from coming to any/all. I certainly don't think MD is the other side of the moon! Lol!
Quote:

Quote:
Erin, I LIKE IT! Especially a place to camp the night before as its a 3 or 4 hour drive for me and I missed the one Sat. Health isn't so good and I was just too tired plus I am in the middle of a bunch of broody hatches. My big problem is keeping the birds safe from the fox until then..

I found this in a google search: rules on transporting fowl into MD

Maryland

*** POULTRY & HATCHING EGGS ***

A. Imported poultry, except poultry imported for immediate slaughter, must be tested negative for pullorum and typhoid within 90 days of importation or originate from U. S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean or equivalent flocks. On request from the Department, VS Form 9-3 or VS Form 9-2 or its equivalent shall accompany shipments. Poultry known to be infected with pullorum or typhoid which is shipped into Maryland for immediate slaughter shall be labeled by the consignor.

B. Imported hatching eggs shall originate from U. S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean or equivalent flocks. On request from the Department, NPIP Form 15 or its equivalent shall accompany shipments.

West Virginia

No person shall import any bird that is from a flock that is known to be infected with pullorum/typhoid or that is from an area under quarantine for Avian Influenza or Viscerotropic Velogenic Newcastle Disease. The commissioner requires that any bird that is imported into this state be accompanied by a statement completed and signed by the owner of the bird upon entry into this state that the bird has been free from disease for the 30 days prior to the importation of the bird and did not originate from a flock known to be infected with pullorum/typhoid; and United States Department of Agriculture Form 9-2 from the tester stating that the birds have been tested for pullorum typhoid within 3 months prior to the date of the importation; or a United States Department of Agriculture Form 9-3 from the tester indicating that the bird has originated from a flock that is not infected with pullorum/typhoid.

Virginia
A. Pullorum-Typhoid

Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be imported into the Commonwealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poultry originate exclusively from flocks participating in the

National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) or the National Turkey Improvement Plan (NTIP) (Code of Federal Regulations, Title 9, Chapter 1, and Parts 1 to

199). These programs shall be under supervision of the Official State Agency of NPIP or NTIP, the livestock health official, or other authorized government agency

of the state of origin certifying them to be free of pullorum-typhoid.

B. Mycoplasma gallisepticum

Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be imported into the Commonwealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poultry originate from flocks that are designated free of

Mycoplasma gallisepticum by the livestock health official of the state of origin. Each importer of hatching eggs or poultry into Virginia shall secure from the State

Veterinarian an approval number, after having provided evidence that the flocks of origin are free of Mycoplasma gallisepticum. This approval number shall appear

on shipping labels or containers of each lot shipped into Virginia.

C. Avian Influenza

Except as provided below no person may bring or ship to Virginia any chicken, turkey, waterfowl, game bird or other avian species that is susceptible to Avian

Influenza (hereby referred to as subject avian species), or hatching egg unless:

1. The subject avian species or hatching egg is first tested and found negative for avian influenza (H5 and H7), or comes from a flock that

has first been tested (20 birds per house minimum, or for flocks of 500 or less, 20 birds per flock minimum as long as all houses and

pens are represented) and found negative for avian influenza (H5 and H7), within 10 days before the subject avian species or hatching

egg enters Virginia; and

2. The results of the test for avian influenza are recorded on a health certificate signed by an accredited veterinarian in the state of origin

or on a report issued by a laboratory approved by any state or federal animal health authority.

In testing for Avian Influenza, the accredited veterinarian shall use only the AGID, ELISA, Directigen, PCR or virus isolation test methods

in a laboratory approved by a state or federal animal health authority.

Nothing in this proclamation shall apply to:

1. Any subject avian species or hatching egg passing directly through Virginia to another state without being removed from its primary

container;

2. Any hatching egg, day-old chicken, day-old game bird, or day-old turkey, so long as the flock from which the hatching egg, day-old

chicken, day-old game bird, or day-old turkey originates participates in the National Poultry Improvement Plan's Avian Influenza Clean

Program, to include the Auxiliary Provisions included in USDA/APHIS Proposed Rule, Docket No. 03-017-1, May 23, 2003; or

3. Any broiler less than 70 days of age going directly to slaughter.

4. Pigeons, doves, finches, and psittacine birds.

C. Approval Numbers

1. Each shipper of hatching eggs or poultry shall first secure an approval number from the State Veterinarian. This approval number must appear on each shipping

label or on each container of hatching eggs or poultry shipped into Virginia.

2. Applications for approval numbers must be made on forms provided by the State Veterinarian. Each application shall require the following information on each

flock from which the hatching eggs or poultry originate:

a. The name and address of each flock owner;

b. The species (i.e. chickens or turkeys) and the number of birds in each flock;

c. The date of the most recent Pullorum-typhoid test;

d. The total number, or the percentage, of positive reactions to the most recent Pullorum-typhoid test;

e. The Pullorum-typhoid status attained; and

f. Such additional information as the State Veterinarian may require.

3. Such applications, when completed, must be forwarded to the official state agency, the state livestock health official, or other competent and recognized authority

of the state of origin for verification, approval and signature; and then forwarded to the State Veterinarian for final approval. Hatching eggs or poultry shall not be

shipped into Virginia until final approval has been granted and the approval number is received.

D. Exceptions

This regulation shall not apply to hatching eggs or poultry passing directly through the Commonwealth of Virginia in interstate commerce, nor to poultry imported into

the Commonwealth of Virginia for immediate slaughter and consigned directly to a poultry processing establishment that is approved and inspected by the United

States Department of Agriculture or by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Don't hold me to this as it is just the first thing I found
tongue.png

Erin,
Gilmanor is the 7th of may. So that would give the middle and last part of may.
June is open too.
July is when we started the 2nd swap.
Sept the fall as has been for a few years.
I would keep the fall the same time and place. As that is when people know we have one.
As for the summer one. I personally did not care for the Gower's swap.
There is just not alot of room for setting up and for buyers to park.
We would not beable to have as many buyers or sellers there. I mean can you really see all the people from last sat. set up there and all the buyers?
Remember we still have to leave room for their customers too.
I'm not saying we would not do go as I did sell out there. Just a room thing.
Erin as to the farm I vote yes it's good thing I get alot of pa &md along with va buyers. More so then Wv buyers.
We could do a door prize like the ts chick starting kit one of the foam bators.
Or something like that start small and work our way up.
Want about a small show where they 2 or 3 breeders that sell or some 4 h kids. Judge some of are birds.
Just so people (like me) can learn what to expect from shows.
That could also get more people into shows and into chickens more.
Learning is all ways a winner.
These are just what I think and can be taken as a grain of salt.
If we have one in April and one end of or first of June at Erin's
One in July mid to end and one in Sept like always I think that would be a great set up for the chickenstocks.
Again this is just what I think.

Tonya great suggestions. Erin has known for two years that my goal is to have a WV show at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds one day. Maybe we should set a goal as to sometime 2013??? We need to organize a club, start a collection to: get a judge or two, pay for advertising, pay for ribbons, awards, etc. Whatcha think?

Back
Top Bottom