WWYD re: feedback for shipped eggs?

slackwater

Songster
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
SoMD
I got BLRW eggs through the mail, bought 8, got 9. WHen they arrived, two were SMASHED, to the extent of leaking all over hte other eggs. One was an external egg (bordered the outside of the box), and one was an internal egg. All eggs were loosely wrapped in one piece of paper towel, laid in an egg carton, and put into a box that was filled with crumpled newspaper. Not the greatest packing job I've seen - but definitely not the worst, either. However, this is the ONLY time I've had not just one, but TWO, eggs arrive smashed. The box was fine - it seems as though the eggs were not properly wrapped to prevent from being broken due to the concussive (not crushing) forces of shipping.

So, I contacted the guy to let him know, and he said "so sorry, LMK how they hatch." I mean, I guess I wasn't looking for "I'll ship you replacement eggs right away" (b/c that's not exactly fair), but...I dunno what I was looking for. More than that? He has a pretty good feedback rating (99.6%), so I'd hate to bring it down, but...if you're supposed to leave feedback on the condition of the eggs when they arrive...well, this wasn't very good! Plus, now all the other eggs are covered in goo (which I wiped off), but that can't be good for the hatch rate...
sad.png

Do I leave him "okay" feedback? Cruddy feedback? Or wait and see how the hatch turns out and, if a bad hatch, contact him again? Or am I being too picky?

I would cut them some serious slack. Eggs break in the mail, the post office isn't very gentile with anything. Sounds like they did an acceptable packing job as well, feel lucky you got 7 unbroken! They could have all been broken, I'd say if over 50% are broken then leave crappy feedback. I would just mention that 2/9 were broken.

I'd leave factual feedback. What you ordered, what you got. Describe packing. To me that's pretty mediocre (not truly awful) packing. This will be useful to other buyers.

Maybe he needs to come join BYC and read the packing thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=237679

I've used the double bubble wrap, tight pack, small double box method with success. I'd pay more for a good packing job.

...From damselfish, who is obsessing over your thread because she just ordered hatching eggs from an unknown person...

I don't see how that was a great packing job at all. Horrible in my opinion. I believe the only way to ship hatching eggs is to either wrap each egg in bubblewrap and then cushion with lots of shredded paper, or bubblewrap the eggs and put them in an egg carton and bubblewrap the egg carton and put into the shipping box cushioned by lots of shredded paper or crumbled paper.

I would leave negative feedback, based on the cruddy packing job.

that doesn't sound like good packaging at ALL. If one of the eggs were able to fall out of the carton? And they were able to ooze all over the other eggs!? Bubble wrap or shreaded paper is the way to go, the carton taped firmly shut, and paper all around the carton to allow very little shaking of the carton inside the box and act as a cushion. If the box was okay externally and the eggs were able to be SMASHED and not cracked or even the top smooshed - PLUS an egg to escape the carton....thats horrible wrapping. I would never order eggs from them again. My one expectations from a seller is :
A. A good handle on their chicken's fertility (someone who has hatched their eggs before - so can say they know the Roo is fertile)
B. Good communications - which includes honest (say blue roo got in with the buffs for a day - let me know so I don't get shocked on hatch day)
C. Excellent packaging (this doesn't mean no broken eggs or scrambled - just that the seller did everything they could to protect the eggs form football playing postal employees - lol )

If one of those 3 aren't met I don't buy from them again and I will leave an honest review I would give him a neutral review at best and tell it like it is. If you don't feel comfortable leaving a negative (which I would) just leave a neutral one with honest review on what you received and the fact you thought packaging was lacking.

Wishing you better luck in the future!

Agree with Scared. I would leave a negative review of that sort of packing because it sounds as though they have put zero effort into getting the eggs to you intact. A single piece of paper towel is just not enough to protect from the hazards of shipping....

And yes, I know shipping is hard on eggs. I know that packages get tossed around. I know that they go through sorters that jostle them. I know that the carriers can sometimes handle the packages roughly.... but if I know these things, then SO DOES HE. And NOT acting in accordance to one's knowledge and packing to prevent the known hazards from breaking the eggs is just unacceptable. At the very least, the eggs shouldn't be able to touch, much less leak on one another if something horrible happens to the box.

And yes, I do ship eggs and yes I do hold myself to these standards. I wrap each egg in bubble wrap, placed in a solid styrofoam box with foam padding to secure them so they can't wobble, packed into a normal box. If it's very hot, I will pack ice packs separated from the eggs by a layer of foam.

Thank you all for your inputs. Like I said, it's not the WORST packing job I've ever seen (that one was eggs wrapped in plastic grocery store bags and then placed in the box individually w/o any extra padding
th.gif
), but most of the GREAT packing jobs were like most of you described - individual eggs wrapped in bubble wrap, firmly seated, etc. I would NEVER hold it against a seller if something happened to the eggs b/c the box was beaten up badly, or if they were scrambled, despite the packing (which has happened to be before), or even if they are cracked - I get it, sometimes things just happen. But I think these eggs were given too much "leeway" in the box, allowing them to be tossed around INSIDE the box, which smashed them...and then, like I said, they gooed everywhere.

I think I'm going to wait until I candle the eggs, so that I can possibly temper my feedback with fertility. If they candle poorly, I will give him one more opportunity to set it right (I would REALLY like replacement eggs if I don't get a good hatch)...otherwise, negative feedback it is!

Quote:
Please remember that candling does NOT indicate fertility. Just because they don't develop doesn't mean they were not fertile. When you remove the ones that didn't grow, chill them and then crack them open into a bowl to look for the white dot or white bullseye that indicates fertility.

I agree with giving him a chance, but tell him if you are not satisfied you will give him neg feedback. good luck

All of the eggs I've gotten shipped to me this year were packed really, really well. I've still had not the best hatch rates from them, some of that I am sure is due to things I am doing wrong, and some just stay clear and never develop, which is probably either jostling or overheating in transit. Out of five shipments so far, two had zero broken, and 2 had one broken, and one had 5 of 60 broken. Of that last one with 5 broken, each individual egg was wrapped in thick tissue and taped, then put into egg cartons, which were securely taped, and then nested into a box stuffed all around with tightly packed paper shreds. Not crushed, so it had to be from being thrown around. So, it does happen no matter how careful the packing job.

But, if you feel the packing job was substandard, I would at least mention that fact, saying "packaging could have been better" or something to that effect.

Back
Top Bottom