WWYD?????

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
WWYD? I am thinking my appleyards are both boys :( cause at 7 weeks they are still not quacking (still peeping). I have 2 cayugas that are female. So I would have 2 girls 2 boys. I know it should be 1 drake to every 3 ducks. So that means I should get at least one more duck if not 2 (do don't want to as we are good with 4 total). The people I got the appleyards from live very far away (they came through where I live that is how I got them the first time), but I did find someone who has Welsh Harlequin close by (30 mins away) and I also know someone that has Cayugas about 2.5 hours from me. Would you get 1-2 WH ducks or stick with the 2 breeds we already have and get 1-2 more Cayugas?

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

Honestly I think it depends on if you want fertilized eggs (If that's why you have them) or males in general. Our males have become aggressive to the other ducks in this past year to a point where they and the younger ducks have to be separated. They're very protective which can oppose problems for the future if you decide to get more ducks. It also depends on if you have the space for around 8 ducks. I would make sure you have drakes just to see what our dealing with. It sometimes takes longer for ducks to get their 'voice' then others. Look for the drake feather on their tails (an adorable curled feather). Do they sound raspy when they quack? Our ducklings were loud but their voices were very masculine sounding and they ended up being female.

Honestly I think it depends on if you want fertilized eggs (If that's why you have them) or males in general. Our males have become aggressive to the other ducks in this past year to a point where they and the younger ducks have to be separated. They're very protective which can oppose problems for the future if you decide to get more ducks. It also depends on if you have the space for around 8 ducks. I would make sure you have drakes just to see what our dealing with. It sometimes takes longer for ducks to get their 'voice' then others. Look for the drake feather on their tails (an adorable curled feather). Do they sound raspy when they quack? Our ducklings were loud but their voices were very masculine sounding and they ended up being female. 

Well i do not want to get rid of my drakes. So if i have 2 girls and 2 drakes i have to get more girls so they dont hurt the 2 we have right?

You are very prepared for being a new duck owner. Also yes, you need a balanced ratio or else everyone will be unhappy and at risk.If you only want 4 ducks you could give away the drakes and get two more females. If you are giving them away it'd be best to do it as soon as possible so they don't get too attached to one another or the females. At this point we cannot give away our drakes because they're way to attached to the other females they grew up with. Since it looks like you're leaning towards keeping the drakes I'd get the two other females which should balance out the ratio though you may have to get more in the future. We also didn't want to give away our drakes because the were so friendly but now they're mean and aggressive,I'm not saying his happens to every drake but it could be a possibility.

WWYD? I am thinking my appleyards are both boys :( cause at 7 weeks they are still not quacking (still peeping). I have 2 cayugas that are female. So I would have 2 girls 2 boys. I know it should be 1 drake to every 3 ducks. So that means I should get at least one more duck if not 2 (do don't want to as we are good with 4 total). The people I got the appleyards from live very far away (they came through where I live that is how I got them the first time), but I did find someone who has Welsh Harlequin close by (30 mins away) and I also know someone that has Cayugas about 2.5 hours from me. Would you get 1-2 WH ducks or stick with the 2 breeds we already have and get 1-2 more Cayugas?

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

If you are not aiming to breed just those breeds, I would go with either. Certainly the Welsh Harlequins won't take so long to go get. I once drove 3 hours to pick up a couple of ducks, but it was special circumstances.....

Back
Top Bottom